Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Diaper Laundry...So Confused!!!!

So I have a terrible time with the ammonia smell in our diapers. I also notice a lot of staining from BMs. So I am wanting to know what everyone's system is. We have very hard water & a HE washer. I have currently been doing my diapers twice on the sanitary setting (super hot) with a stain cycle & know there has to be a better way. We've been using Charlie's Soap. I use Tide for all of my regular laundry & my other clothes smell great!!!

Advertisement

http://EverythingForModernMoms.blogspot.com...visit my blogs for lots of reviews and tons of giveaways!
mommyto3beautifulbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I forgot to mention that the way I've been doing it means 5 hours of diaper cleaning time!!!!

http://EverythingForModernMoms.blogspot.com...visit my blogs for lots of reviews and tons of giveaways!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What type of diapers do you have? I do a 1/4 cup of regular bleach with my pockets, AIOs, and prefolds once a month in the wsh cycle and as long as I do that, no ammonia. Could also be your child's urine reacting with the detergent residue. Might try a different brand for a couple of weeks and see ifthings improve.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've tried other brands with the same results & it seems as though I just can't get them good & clean! I use a variety though mostly BG. I'm bleach dumb!! Won't bleach ruin the color of the diapers??

Old 07-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
katzchen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Laundry...So Confused!!!!

Our wash routine a few years ago (when I last had one in diapers!) was as follows for and LG Tromm fler and hard water:

Cold prerinse, hot wash w/ cold rinse, extra rinse, all on the water plus setting. We used All Free and Clear to the one line in the compartment for the main wash cycle. Since I had two in diapers (that shared diapers) the load would get a capful of bleach if either of the boys had been sick just to keep any bugs from spreading.

I used that routine for 4+ years with no stink issues on prefolds, covers, hemp doublers, pockets and microfibre inserts. The only time we ever had issues was when I was new to cding and followed the "expert's" recommendations of no bleach, tiny amounts of regular detergent or cd safe detergents.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! I've been reading about a lot of moms using Tide on their diapers....I've always been afraid to do this!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Laundry...So Confused!!!!

Ditch the Charlies! It sounds like it isn't getting your diapers clean enough.

When DS was in diapers I had a top loader and nice soft water and Charlies was the worst out of all the detergents I tried at cleaning our diapers. Tide Free & Clear and Country Save are what worked best for us.

Can you add some water to your washing machine? We now have a HE front loader I have to use for this newbies diapers. I am a bit paranoid about having to wash in an HE machine now and I did a bunch of researching on here and decided to try adding water to my machine on a practice batch of towels and prefolds I was prepping. I added about 2 gallons of water through the detergent tray once the washing machine was done filling and washing. Don't try adding water too soon in the cycle or your machine might drain all the water and start over. I did this on that practice load and there was ton of bubbles and enough water to slosh around the bottom of the machine. I was careful not to add too much water and have it come over the door seal. I am paranoid about messing up my new washing machine. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was scared of bleach too, so I called Cottonbabies. They are colorfast and regular bleach will not ruin them! I'm also a Tide user.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
jacksmimi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have hard water and fl'er too. Sounds like your diapers still have residue. There's no way I'd do the sanitary cycle 2 times, that'd take forever you poor thing!

Imo, here's what i would do. I'd start with a sport wash to strip your diapers, then a "clean washer load" with bleach only (most fl'ers have a setting for this (i'd wanna be sure the washer is free of residue too).

Then i would wash the diapers like this: I'd either use more Charlies (check threads for other Charlies users to see how much they use. Imo there's no way 1-2 tbl works for dirty diapers) I used RnG and really had troubles. Or I would switch to a non cd safe detergent I use original Tide buts it's hard to find now. Lots of people use All F&C, Kirkland F&C (Costco). I tried Ultra Tide, with hard water- it didn't work, stink w/in 3 weeks.

1. Cold rinse (no soap)
2. Heavy duty or Kid wash, hot water, with extra rinses if possible
(I use 2 Tbl of Oxi Clean and Tide to the 1.5 line)
3. Rinse again cool water (i do a short wash for this)

Every so often i throw in a 1/4 cup of bleach (I don't use fitteds, but that's the only thing I'd be afraid of damaging, the cotton prints.) I've never had anything ruined, though i'm not doing a long soak with it.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks!! It sounds like we'll be stripping some dipes in a couple of weeks!!!