Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
crysm10
Registered Users
seller

issues with cd laundry

I've been cloth diapering my daughter for the past 6 months now. The first months were easy as far as washing went. We used Flip Stay Dry Newborn inserts and Thirsties and Flip covers. I washed them every other day with Thirsties Pre Wash and Super Wash. When she outgrew the newborn inserts, I started using a variety of diapers. Pockets, AIO's, prefolds. One day the diapers started smelling out of the dryer, though they smelled fine out of the wash. I switched to Eco Sprout, didn't help, then to Tide Ultra which helps but I feel like there is tons of build up. I tried Eco Sprout again and she had a reaction to that. So I tried ALL F&C. That night she slept in bamboo for 12 hours and there were no problems. The next morning I changed into her a HH with a microfiber insert. At the next change, I noticed she was a little red. I put her in another HH with microfiber. At the next change, she was very red. I put her in sposies and stripped the diapers, this time using RNG. The stinkies were back and she had some sort of reaction. So now I've stripped with dawn and they are fine. No smell, no redness. But I haven't had to wash in detergent yet. I'm worried about the Tide because it is the Ultra. I can't find Original. What should I do? Should I use the Tide Ultra, or should I try something else? I forgot to mention that I use a Top Loader washing machine.

Advertisement

crysm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Gita
Registered Users
Formerly: MiamiBaby
seller

My Mood:
Re: issues with cd laundry

Hi mama- I'm wondering if the stinky/reaction problem is actually a reaction to microfiber, not the detergent itself. Microfiber often has both stink and allergy problems.
Try removing all the microfiber and returning to the All F&C as it sounds from your post that she did fine with that. Hopefully that will clear up the stink and redness problem. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

Is the rash just in the wet area or is it her entire diaper area. That might help narrow down the source of the rash. Also, my daughter had a really bad rash with both RnG and Charlies, I switched to Green Mountain Detergent and it was gone almost overnight. i am going to try Tide Original when the Green Mountain is out though, I found a bunch at Big Lots. Also, i found this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 It's spendy, but if you're desperate. I don't know how much shipping would be, but there is a whole endcap full of Tide Original at the Big Lots here. I bought 2 the other day so I'm sure there is still some there. I could send you some, of you're real desperate.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
starfairy1980
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use tide original in the liquid form, just a teeny bit. I also have microfiber (RAR). I add a vinegar wash. My routine is: cold wash w/ nothing, hot wash w/ soap, cold wash w/ 1cup vinegar. Takes care of stinkies/rash. For overnights, we use an econobum prefold, wrapped around a newborn prefold in a cover. Yes, its bulky, but my kid is a heavy wetter, and this is the only thing that's worked for us. GL!
starfairy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfairy1980 View Post
I use tide original in the liquid form, just a teeny bit. I also have microfiber (RAR). I add a vinegar wash. My routine is: cold wash w/ nothing, hot wash w/ soap, cold wash w/ 1cup vinegar. Takes care of stinkies/rash. For overnights, we use an econobum prefold, wrapped around a newborn prefold in a cover. Yes, its bulky, but my kid is a heavy wetter, and this is the only thing that's worked for us. GL!
after your cold wash with vinegar, do you do an extra rinse?
nbert921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
crysm10
Registered Users
seller

Mamas, thank you all so much!

MrsA08, thank you for offering to send me the Tide but I think I'm going to try the All F&C again. The rash was only on her inner thigh and on her girly parts. It was a little red but it never seemed to bother her. It cleared up in 2 days of sposies and Desitin and eventually peeled.

I have gotten rid of the microfiber and am only using cotton and bamboo. Everything seems to be going okay since the Dawn stripping but like I said, I haven't had to use detergent yet. How much All F&C do you guys think I should use? My water is moderately soft to normal according to RnG.
crysm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
McPackmama
Registered Users

I used A f&c with my cotton prefolds/inserts and after a couple of weeks/washes, my little guy had that red rash going on, too. I decided there's something in that formula that irritates his skin once he pees. I had to switch detergents.
McPackmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get rid of the mf and go back to the Thirsties detergent. She may be sensitive to synthetic fibers and the commercial detergents. The only way to really find out is to eliminate them.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote