Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
missygirl
Registered Users

Unhappy Is my DS gaining enough weight?

DS is 10 months old, and is bf every 3-4 hours during the day, and one time in early AM. At 6 months he was 17 pounds 4 ounces, and at 10 months he is around 19 and a half pounds. So, he gained about 2.5 pounds in 4 months. I read that breastfed babies should gain about a pound a month at this age, so I'm a little concerned. DS is a VERY active baby, and is constantly moving and crawling all day long. I know that very active babies tend to be leaner, and this may be a part of it.
I guess part of the reason I'm concerned is because DS isn't the most content baby and tends to fuss on and off at different times of the day. While it may be his personality, I want to make sure it isn't because my breastmilk isn't giving him enough. He seems happy right after the feeding, and does well until about 30 minutes later. He has lots of wet diapers and dirty diapers every day, so his output seems good. He eats lots of solids and is like a bottomless pit at most of his meals, but I try to always nurse him first. He seriously growls at me when he's hungry at mealtime, and it's like I can't feed him fast enough. I just get discouraged when I see him fussing, even though I'm trying so hard to feed him well and keep him happy. My twins who were also bf to 10 months, never acted like this, and seemed content most the time. I just want to make sure that my milk is enough for him. Some days I wonder if he would be more content if he was drinking formula instead, but I know that breast milk is healthier and I'd like to continue nursing.
Any thoughts? TIA

Advertisement

missygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is my DS gaining enough weight?

Have you tried offering the breast 30 minutes after when he seem discontent? He might just need to finish up then after a little break.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I also offer whenever they fuss. If he's not hungry he'll pop himself off. Also is he at the age where he is easily distracted? At some point I had to transition to nursing in a quiet, dark (boring) room for them to nurse properly.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honey your milk is fine!!! Don't even worry about that. I'd try what the other ladies suggested and nurse him a bit more when he gets fussy. (Or before if you can catch any feeding cues at that time). He could be more of a snack nurser. Some babies are, or it is possible that he just has a different personality. My kids are day and night, both as babies and children.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

your milk is fine. he's growing good in my opinion. keep up the good work

Last edited by doodle19; 07-24-2011 at 06:47 AM.
doodle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
missygirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Have you tried offering the breast 30 minutes after when he seem discontent? He might just need to finish up then after a little break.
I haven't tried that. I guess I just assume that he isn't fussing because he's hungry. I will try that though, and see if it helps. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
missygirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
I also offer whenever they fuss. If he's not hungry he'll pop himself off. Also is he at the age where he is easily distracted? At some point I had to transition to nursing in a quiet, dark (boring) room for them to nurse properly.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yes, DS is very easily distracted! He stops nursing if he hears anything. I nurse him in his room with the door shut and the lights off. Usually it works. Thanks for your help
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
missygirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
Honey your milk is fine!!! Don't even worry about that. I'd try what the other ladies suggested and nurse him a bit more when he gets fussy. (Or before if you can catch any feeding cues at that time). He could be more of a snack nurser. Some babies are, or it is possible that he just has a different personality. My kids are day and night, both as babies and children.
Thanks for your input I'll try those suggestions and maybe it will help. I think he is a bit of a snack nurser. He's the fast and furious type too, so sometimes I wonder if he nursed enough. It's so hard not to compare my kids to eachother! My twins were so much more easier going and I never worried about my supply. Quite the opposite this go around. Every baby is different though!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
missygirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle19 View Post
your milk is fine. he's growing good in my opinion. keep up the good work
thanks for your support I appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Also, check out kellymom.com and the WHO growth charts. EBF babies tend to gain rapidly in the first 3 months and then taper off with weight gain, especially after 6-9 months. Plot his weights out and if he follows a steady curve (pretty consistently in the same percentile) then he is thriving and growing normally. Don't worry till you have a real reason to worry. I'm betting he is just fine.