Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
sjberreth
Registered Users
seller

What does a breast infection feel like when its just starting??

Is there a way to prevent it???

Advertisement

sjberreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Chloe&Tilly'sMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: What does a breast infection feel like when its just starting??

They say you should be good about not favoring one side, that way one side doesn't get engorged, thus leading to mastitis. But I don't think there's any way to 100% prevent it. I think it's more likely if your supply is high, thus there's more chance to get clogged up.

With my 1st daughter, I was in college, so I pumped & she drank breastmilk from a bottle while I was gone. And she was always an every four hour nurser. So, anyway, I think my supply was a bit lower with her and I never had any issues.

With my 2nd daughter, I'm a SAHM and she liked to nurse every 2 hours. And even though she slept through the night, I would always pump before I went to bed, just to have a supply in the freezer "in case." So I think my supply was much higher this time.

When she was a few months old, I woke up one morning (luckily a Saturday so my husband was home) and I had both fever and chills and I could barely sit up because I was dizzy and weak and just wanted to sleep. It basically felt like the flu, but without any throat or sinus issues. I was baffled. I did notice a thick painful spot on the bottom side of my right breast, so I took a hot shower and tried to massage it out. But at the same time, I had no idea that was what was making me sick. I had never gotten mastitis before so it never occured to me that's what I had. After a day or two where I felt slightly better but still weak, I slowly realized after googling my symptoms that I had mastitis and so I set to work rubbing that spot all of the time to try and work the blockage out. After a few days, I was all better and the sore lump was gone. I went to my OBGYN after I was better and they said that if it happened again, I could get antibiotics, so maybe it's easier to fix than what I did.
Chloe&Tilly'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A portion of my breast felt heavy and full and the area was warm. I expressed that side in the shower, put warm wet cloths on it, used a comb over the area- all things to help loosen the blockage. I offered that side first to nurse and again when nursing was finishing. I was very lucky to notice what was going on early so I was able to catch it before it got worse, you may need antibiotics if you have been having pain for a while.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you notice a hard spot it might be a clogged duct. When your baby is feeding or you're pumping you can massage the area to try to get it out, or as PP mentioned, nurse more on that side (maybe 2x on the clogged side per 1x on the other side), and use a warm compress. Typically if you have an infection, you will have a warm, red area and it will be very sore and you may develop a fever. You can have a clog without an infection though and it still may be pretty sore. I had clogs a lot with DS and with DD I definitely had mastitis. It felt like I had the flu (fever, body aches, chills, etc.) and I used antibiotics. I think it will be obvious to you if this happens. Hope you feel better soon.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had no symptoms in my breast other than a cracked nipple for a couple of days and pain while nursing. Then... I suddenly had a 105 degree fever that wouldn't break for days. I laid in bed shaking for two days straight. Then once the fever broke I suddenly had a giant hot lump from the underside of my nipple to the top of my breast (and mine are very large.. so it was huge) there were red hot streaks all the way to my armpit. Best way to prevent it.. keep it clean... go bra free and completely drain it when nursing. If trying any natural suggestions do not show any signs of clearing up the infection you may have to treat it aggressively with antibiotics. I dealt with it for nearly two months because the antibiotics weren't strong enough in the beginning.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
jenbo
Registered Users

I just went through this last week! I had an awful red streak from nipple to chest wall that felt like I'd been punched there and it felt it had been burned by scalding water. I woke up one day so exhausted with a horrible fever. Luckily a BFing girlfriend clued me in to what was going on. The mastitis was from bacteria that had traveled up through a milk duct probably from a crack somewhere in the nipple. Since I was a few hours away from the start of a big trip, there would be no relaxing and extra nursing and hot showers and compresses for me, so I went straight to the doctor's for antibiotics. All cleared up now! GL
jenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
jenbo
Registered Users

Since baby & I were buckled in the car for hours at a time, I used my pump during the drive (passenger!) to drain both sides well.
jenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine just felt like a mildly sore spot for two days, but in a matter of four hours I was in pain, and felt like my breast was on fire. I got antibiotics quick and I am on day 2 of treatment and the pain is starting to subside.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always feed on left first then right. my left is smaller & has less milk. I found that if i had her feed only on the right, then he would not get to the left. but if we started with left, then we always got thru most of the right as well... dont know if this helps you!