Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Preparing for the future question

I have an almost 4 year old and an 8 month old that I desperately wanted to breastfeed but was physically unable. I have severely inverted nipples and we could never get a latch at all. We are planning baby number 3 soon and I still feel so cheated that I haven't had this experience with any of my children.

We tried lots of things to try to get the ball rolling (nipple shells, nipple shields, pumping before trying to latch) and nothing has helped. Is their anything I can do before trying to have the next one to improve my chances?

Advertisement

s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preparing for the future question

I recently read some cool info from my LC. It was froma course she went to. It was actually about increasing low supply, but it mention pumping starting at 35 weeks gestation. Perhaps that duration of pumping would help draw your nipples out. The suggestion was to save any colostrum (prob just drops worth) you pump in little syringes and freeze them. You can then give them to your baby in the first few days. Very interesting.
I also had an inverted nipple on one side and flat on the other but rolling it and firming it up was enough to get a latch. Maybe yours are more stubborn? After nursing 2 kids for 1-2 years each they are both really sticky-outy now. I wonder if you could convince your 8month old to latch on and comfort nurse and help draw them out? I am going out on a limb there. But it is easier to get a baby with a bigger mouth to latch than a newborn with their tiny mouth and body. Maybe you can try - If your 8 month old doesn't think you are crazy!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Lilysmom10
Registered Users

One of mine was flat/partially inverted. When DD was a day old, one of our nurses noticed and got me a Lansinoh Latch Assist device. It's basically a little plunger that draws the nipple out so the baby can latch. It was not the most comfortable thing but it worked. I used it for about a week and a half or two weeks until she was able to draw it out on her own.

That side is not flat/inverted anymore after almost a year of nursing and pumping!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My sister just had a baby and used the Latch Assist too. I had never heard of it, I guess it is a new product. But it worked for her!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom10 View Post
One of mine was flat/partially inverted. When DD was a day old, one of our nurses noticed and got me a Lansinoh Latch Assist device. It's basically a little plunger that draws the nipple out so the baby can latch. It was not the most comfortable thing but it worked. I used it for about a week and a half or two weeks until she was able to draw it out on her own.

That side is not flat/inverted anymore after almost a year of nursing and pumping!
We tried something similar with DS and to no avail.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is there anything listed on this page that you haven't tried before? http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/Breastfeeding/Becky/inverted.html