Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
breezy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Midwife issues

I don't really like my midwife, I signed up for one but they rotate back and forth so I have only seen the one I don't like. I am 21 weeks do you think it's to late to change? She just doesn't seem confident in the answers she gives me and I always have an uneasy feeling when I leave. Also their facility has you leave 4 hours after delivery. And I am not a woman that needs to leave that soon. I don't mind one night in the hospital. This is my first time with a midwife, I had two births with an OB. I want to labor my own way but I don't want to feel alone while doing so. Make sense?

Advertisement

breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
benoliviaallen
Registered Users
seller

It's definitely not too late to change if you aren't comfortable with your midwife. I originally was planning a birth center birth and I was being rotated through all the midwives there so I could get to know them all. There were several that I wasn't a huge fan of. I ended up deciding to just have a home birth with my favorite one at the last minute. I think I was like 37 weeks when we changed our plans. After the fact I was SO glad I went with my gut. Having a midwife that I trusted and was comfortable with was hugely important.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoliviaallen
Having a midwife that I trusted and was comfortable with was hugely important.
I completely agree. It isn't too late at all.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Midwife issues

I switched at 33 weeks and couldn't have been happier by the end of it (which is an amazing feat, let me tell you LOL). You're only slightly over half way there, 20 weeks is a decent bit of time. Get someone you trust and feel comfortable with
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

It seems odd that you HAVE to leave 4 hours after the birth Most birth centers are considered outpatient facilities but they might be talking about 4 hours being the minimum you can leave. Mine is 6-12 hours and the mom/baby are comfortable leaving and the midwives are comfortable that everything is going well. Then you can leave.

But no I don't think it's too late to change.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS2's pregnancy I switched from MWs to OB care at 38-39wks. Definitely not too late for you!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
It seems odd that you HAVE to leave 4 hours after the birth Most birth centers are considered outpatient facilities but they might be talking about 4 hours being the minimum you can leave. Mine is 6-12 hours and the mom/baby are comfortable leaving and the midwives are comfortable that everything is going well. Then you can leave.

But no I don't think it's too late to change.
My midwife strongly encouraged me to leave within 4 hours so that we could get that first big long nap at home in our own beds. In theory we could stay for 6+ hours but I had no desire. We were out the door at 3 hours.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Leave Find someone you trust and feel comfortable with. If you are nervous and anxious because you are not confident in the care and expertise of your midwife that will negatively affect your labor experience.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not too late at all! I switched OB's around 20 weeks with DS, I was being hospitalized for hyperemesis and the on-call OB I saw there was amazing, so I switched! So glad I did, he was great through my pregnancy, and delivered my DS. Do what you want to do
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

It is NEVER too late to switch! Go with your gut. There are good and bad midwives just like there are good and bad OB doctors. Find someone you like and with whom you feel comfortable. There are other fish in the sea!

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote