Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best Breastfeeding Book

Hi,
We are TTC and I'm determined to breastfeed this next baby when it comes to us (Hopefully soon!)

Anyways, I reserved 2 books at the library. One was the LLL Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and the other was Dr. Sears.

I had glanced briefly at the Dr. Sears one and it was pretty good picture wise and all. How is the LLL one? Is one better than the other? Or is there another one with really good pictures on techniques and all.

I barely made it past a week with my son. But we also had a lot of other issues too, I'm fairly positive that he had a major issue with milk proteins and something else (for the record, I am dairy free, soy free, gluten free, and peanut free because I'm allergic to all of those so it wasn't my diet).

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Best Breastfeeding Book

No book suggestions at all?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my copy of the LLL book. I also have The Food of Love: The Easier Way to Breastfeed Your Baby, written by a British woman who also does comics so she's got lots of funny illustrations
Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think my favorite was The Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding Answers by Dr. Jack Newman. It was really informative.

I actually think it's good to read a bunch of different books.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
nasladybug
Registered Users
seller

Location: foothills of the Appalachian Moutains - North Georgia
My Mood:

I've heard "So that's what those are for" is really great.

I had lots of issues nursing DD1 and she was on formula from 1 month on - smooth sailing (mostly) with DD2 till BLW at 19 months, and moving right along nursing DD3 for nearly 9 months now. YOU CAN DO IT - I am living proof. I was nervous that I would have trouble with DD2 - but the key was nursing her as SOON as POSSIBLE after she was born and not giving up through those first few days and weeks. WIth DD2 & 3 they nursed in the delivery room minutes after they were born and I think it really made a big difference. Ban bottles, pacis, and any thing else. Nursing right after delivery will kick start your supply and get baby ahead of the learning curve. 12-36 hour old babies get really sleepy so it is important to get as much practice in before they get into that stage as possible so that when they do wake up (around the 1st or 2nd night home from the hospital with a typical 24-48 hour stay LOL!) your milk will be starting to be there for them. A new baby has enough reserves from you from before they were born to last them for up to 5 days, and 1 teaspoon of colustrum is a big meal for them and their tiny stomachs. I think some mamas get worried that their babies are hungry and they say "I didnt have any milk" so they end up giving them bottles out of guilt, but there is no reason to feel guilty - if they are latching on in those first few days - they are getting something. Good Luck in your endeavor!

We Jesus!

Last edited by nasladybug; 07-27-2011 at 08:11 AM.
nasladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another one I thought of is Simply Breastfeeding. It's a video class (online or DVD) by an IBCLC. Some things are really great to really see someone demonstrate, like positioning, exactly how much baby really needs in the early days, etc.

Last year it was available online free in August/September, so maybe it will be again this year. It's $29.99 to buy access to see it online.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Another one I thought of is Simply Breastfeeding. It's a video class (online or DVD) by an IBCLC. Some things are really great to really see someone demonstrate, like positioning, exactly how much baby really needs in the early days, etc.

Last year it was available online free in August/September, so maybe it will be again this year. It's $29.99 to buy access to see it online.
Thanks! I'll look around then and see if it is.

I do know some very basics, but I was hoping to have a resource on hand to double check when I need to in the future. I like pictures because then I know for sure if the babies latched on right if I suddenly doubt myself (very prone to doing that when sleep deprived ...)
Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Another vote for Jack Newmans Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding. Really liked it a lot.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dr. Newman also has a website with lots of good information on it, including videos of good latches, bad latches, breast compression, etc. You might want to bookmark it.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

The Womanly Art