Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Combining pumping sessions?

I'm trying to pump once a day or every other to have a small stash for an occasional bottle for DH to give ds on the weekends. I would be okay with him having 2-3 bottles a week but I just can't get much when I pump. I pumped yesterday morning about 45 min-1 hr after ds nursed and only got 1oz each side. So I want to combine several sessions so I can fill one storage bag with 4-5 oz instead of the 2 oz I get. If I don't pump in the morning then I try to pump at night and I get even less. Is it okay to leave the milk in the fridge for a few days until I get enough to put in a bag?

I'd really rather not pump at all but having a small stash helps me to get out for a bit on the weekends when DH can stay home with them.

I'm not worried about my supply at all but are there any tips to getting more when pumping? I do compressions. I have a picture of baby and sometimes he's right there when I'm pumping.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
keelykellen&kiera
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Combining pumping sessions?

How does DS sleep at night? IME your best bet would be to pump in the am if you are full -ish then if you can. Ideal scenario would be to pump one side while DS nurses the other, that will help you pump the maximum amount and it will not add anything extra to your day. NAK... otherwise i would write more.

Good luck mama!

Keely 8.3.02 Kellen 4.20.04 Kiera 7.11.06 Kade 4.24.11 born @32 weeks
keelykellen&kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He generally sleeps well 6-7 hours but last night was more like 3! I co-sleep once he wakes up so I really don't pay attention. I just let him nurse and he often nurses a lot between 4-7am. I rarely wake up full-ish or at least I don't feel that way. Maybe I'll try to pump one side while he nurses the other at his mid-morning session. He tends to take both sides though so I hope he doesn't get mad if there's not much left!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping in the morning (6am-1pm) is what my LC recommended for getting the most milk the easiest. Also you can try pump- shower- nurse (or nurse-shower-pump) in the morning which is a recommended strategy for working moms who are trying to maximize their pumping output. The shower helps with getting another let-down in a short amount if time and is possibly a normal part of your morning routine anyhow.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

You really need to consistently pump at the same time each day. Right now you body is making milk based on what your son is demanding. So if you pump at the same time each day you body will get the signal that you need more milk at that time.

So the first day you might only get an ounce, but keep pumping at that same time and you will eventually get more milk at that time. It may take a few days for your body to get the signal.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and to answer your first question, I think there are not clear storage rules about freezing mill that has already been in the fridge for a while. Do you need to freeze, or will you use the milk soon enough to just keep it in the fridge. I personally do not combine milk for my freezer stash. I just freeze whatever I get and figure then dh can thaw 2 bags if needed. That way if ds only needs a snack of a few ounces then at least the extra ounces won't go to waste.

I do combine milk occasionally if it has just been in the fridge. Then I go by the oldest date as far as figuring out when I need to use it up by. I don't add warm milk to cold milk, though. I chill it first as not to heat the first batch back up at all to keep it fresher.

That said, I am guessing you could probably freeze your first 2 oz. Then, the next day, pump 2 more. Chill that second pumping in the fridge, then add it to the already frozen milk from the day before. You need to chill it first so it won't thaw out the already frozen milk. You arent supposed to have the milk freeze an thaw, freeze and thaw repeatedly.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
starfairy1980
Registered Users
seller
seller

i'm an EPer, and I always combined milk from different pumping sessions. What type of pump do you have (electric or manual)? You may need to change our ur tubes/membranes. if you have an older pump, you may want to take it to get checked. compressions and the pic of the Babe thing never worked for me, as often times i was mulitasking while pumping (working on the computer, driving, etc).
starfairy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote