Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
luvn_my_boys
Registered Users

ur kids & hospital...

Any1 have their kids stay in the hospital when u had the new LO? Was it welcomed by the hospital or did u have to push for it?

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
mamayogibear
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ur kids & hospital...

My daughter came with me to the hospital when I had my son. I had a baby sitter arranged who was friends with my doula. Neither one of them made it to the hospital though! No one seemed to mind, there was a nurses aid who played with my older daughter for a while and then a volunteer sat with her while she and a snack. So in an emergency yeah, I doubt they'll mind in the end. Oh and my friend was there but they were really useless and started shaking and almost fainted and had to leave the room, I think one of the assistants had to help them calm down too! I think the best plan would to have an extra person at the hospital who isn't your labor partner to take your older kid if they get too bored or worried during your birthing.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At my hospital, your child can stay if and only if there is someone there to care for them that is not you! Your SO has to take care of your older child while you take care of yourself and new baby. I much rather an older child stay with his/her parents then be scared and uncomfortable somewhere else.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
luvn_my_boys
Registered Users

I don't think I made this clear lol...my ds was there at the hospital when ds2 was born & my mom sat out there with him (she's the only 1 that was allowed to supervise him cuz Im picky lol) but I mean staying the night! Was it a big issue if ur older kids stAyed the night with u during ur stay?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I think it would be rather boring for an older child to stay overnight. Even if you bring toys and stuff, the child is still limited to staying with you in the room or halls. Also the nurses come in several times during the night. I'm not too sure how well your child would sleep through that. I know mine do like like being woke up in the night. It makes for a very cranky next day.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest stayed with us after my 2nd was born (she was almost 2) and it was fine. One nurse kind of gave us a funny look when she came in around 9 and saw my dd in her pajamas too but she didn't say anything. My husband was there too so it wasnt' just me with her and the new baby. We brought coloring books and a few other things for her but I don't think she used any of it, she was too enamored with all the new things, the baby, the hospital room etc.

If we have to stay overnight this time both of my kids will stay overnight with us. I feel like they are a very important part of the bonding in the early hours/days and they should be there.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
jasminegrl
Registered Users

its not "allowed" here but some of the nurses don't care, personally I would rather have DD and DH go home so she can get a good nights sleep in her own bed then worry about her rolling out of a hospital bed or be woken up by the baby or the nurses
Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did my clinicals on a mother/baby unit and I would advise against bringing other children to stay overnight. We had a patient that did this and basically your older kid will be woken up repeatedly overnight with the baby and the nurses coming in. You may get a funny look from the nurses but it's more because most people do not do that.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't plan on having my son (21 months) there for the delivery, but he will be brought up just a few hours later & will stay with us (my parents or sister will be his "caregiver") throughout the days. I imagine they'll take him home for his nap times & then at bed time...but he's still nursing, so I'll want him there so he can nurse before they take him home to bed. I'm looking at 48 hours to 3-5 days in the hospital, so it would be WAY too long not to have him with me during the days. ESPECIALLY since right now I'm a SAHM on "modified" bed rest & we spend literally almost every second of our day together.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was 2 when my second was born and she stayed the whole time. My mom watched her during the day while I was in labor and my dad had her during the night while I was pushing (I could hear her crying from down the hall fighting going to sleep- not cool). She stayed the next night in bed with me and the new baby.

This time I'm definitely having a babysitter. They're older so it'll be no problem and I won't have to worry about being bothered like last time. I want the babysitter (their grampa) to bring them soon after the birth to meet their new sister, though.