Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
luvn_my_boys
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms
My oldest stayed with us after my 2nd was born (she was almost 2) and it was fine. One nurse kind of gave us a funny look when she came in around 9 and saw my dd in her pajamas too but she didn't say anything. My husband was there too so it wasnt' just me with her and the new baby. We brought coloring books and a few other things for her but I don't think she used any of it, she was too enamored with all the new things, the baby, the hospital room etc.

If we have to stay overnight this time both of my kids will stay overnight with us. I feel like they are a very important part of the bonding in the early hours/days and they should be there.
I'm with u, I think it is very important for the whole family to have that bonding time! They wouldn't let my ds1 stay with us over night with ds2 & is have to rock him to sleep b4 my mom took him home with her cuz otherwise he would cry for me & it killed my heart! :'( shed bring him bk first thing in the morning! We r currently ttc #3 & I'm switching drs so that I can use a diff hospital that is more "family friendly" I think its ridiculous when they limit the siblings!

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
christenjoy
Registered Users

I'd check with your hospital policy. At the hospital where I work it would definitely not be allowed. For us, it is a liability issue. If anything happened to your other child while sleeping (falling out if bed, slipping during non visiting hours...) there us huge problems with sue happy people. So, we can't allow siblings to stay. There may be some hospitals where they are able to get insurance coverage for siblings, just check.
christenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
luvn_my_boys
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by christenjoy
I'd check with your hospital policy. At the hospital where I work it would definitely not be allowed. For us, it is a liability issue. If anything happened to your other child while sleeping (falling out if bed, slipping during non visiting hours...) there us huge problems with sue happy people. So, we can't allow siblings to stay. There may be some hospitals where they are able to get insurance coverage for siblings, just check.
Thank for this info! I wasn't aware of the insurance coverage that could be available! Do u just pay for that or what?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, check with your hospital. At the one I work with, as long as there is another adult there to take care of them it is fine. I will tell you that most of the time when siblings spend the night they don't sleep well/have a hard time sleeping. For me, I have grandpa and aunts watch my kids at our house while I am in labor, and after the baby is born dh goes home with the other kids at night. I actually like having baby all to myself some, lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ur kids & hospital...

Our in-hospital birth center was fine with it so long as an adult other than me was there to care for her. DD came to spend the night after DS was born. But that lasted all of about an hour before we decided DH should just take her home. Nurses were in and out which was keeping her up. And since she was up she was being a tad loud which caused me to worry about disturbing the women in the other rooms. Not to mention she was bored, bored, bored. She hated it there. So yeah, DH went home with her and I was very happy with that. She got a good night's rest and so did I. If you want to have them stay the night and your hospital is fine with it, I say go for it. As for us, we thought that was what we wanted, but it made DD miserable so we changed our plans. They bonded just fine when I went home the next day.

Last edited by Janine; 07-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by christenjoy View Post
The hospital we go to doesn't have visiting hours on the pp and L&D floors so perhaps that's why it wasn't a big deal. People were allowed to come and go as they pleased.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
shalin
Registered Users

My Mood:

We almost had this happen since my sis in law was being a total crank about watching my dd when I had my ds. But my dd was only 2, so it would have been a huge pain in the neck having her there! Good luck w/ whatever happens- personally I think it would be a pain unless your kid is older. Like having my dd there w/ out next one I wouldn't mind because by that time she will be around 5-6 years old. So, it might actually be kinda fun! But I always wondered if the hospital/nurses would frown on my dd being there if there was absolutely no where else for her to go! My sis in law said she would watch her months before I gave birth & low and behold, she didn't realize how much a 2 year old would actually require her attention, said she could work from our house & stay there w/ her. She was only there for half a day when meanwhile I was in the hospital, and she started texting me, asking me how long it would be. I was so mad- how did she expect me to know when the baby would decide to pop his head out? And I still had to at least stay in hosp for 24 hours after so we were just so pissed. I almost sent hubby home and told her to go screw herself but we just put up w/ her crap & left exactly 24 hours to the minute after he was born & went home so we could relieve the poor sis in law that was having to put up w/ my 2 year old. What a joke! I will sure remember that for forever and not so sure if I will be that helpful when she has kids!
shalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is not allowed at our local hospital and strictly inforced. There can only be one over night person and they will kick anyone else out.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I've never heard of kids being allowed to stay in the hospital overnight...and I wouldn't want mine to either! The nurses were always bothering me, coming in and turning the lights on, checking my BP and demanding I nurse my (sleeping) baby Not exactly restful.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
christenjoy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvn_my_boys

Thank for this info! I wasn't aware of the insurance coverage that could be available! Do u just pay for that or what?
It's actually the hospital that has to have coverage for it, not individual coverage.
christenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote