Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

3 hour glucose test

I'm doing my 3 hour tomorrow, the nurse that scheduled me told me what I need to do in prep for the test (not eat) but I didn't ask what the actual test entailed. Any been there done that ladies want to enlighten me? Thanks!

Advertisement

hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 hour glucose test

This is what happened at mine:
They draw a fasting level then have you drink the nasty drink.
Wait an hour then another blood draw
wait an hour then another blood draw

Pretty boring. Bring a good book!
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yep, go in hungry, drink a little bottle of pure sugar. and every hour get blood drawn. Be ready to eat after the test. You feel like dirt from only eating 100g of sugar all morning.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket
yep, go in hungry, drink a little bottle of pure sugar. and every hour get blood drawn. Be ready to eat after the test. You feel like dirt from only eating 100g of sugar all morning.
My mother in law said to pack a peanut butter sandwich and eat it right after the test is over. For my one hour the drink was cold and that made it a little better. I hope this one is as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this drink is twice as sweet as the one hour. Literally. The PB sandwich is a really good idea
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took the 3hr with DD and the drink was exactly the same as the one hour. Really, the test was precisely the same, just three hours long instead of one hour.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks!

I called the office to make sure I could have water through the night and in the morning and they initially told me no! She double checked with someone (I was on hold for like 20 seconds) and said her initial response was correct. At that point I explained that if I didn't drink through the night I often woke up with contractions that didn't stop until I had done all of the customary "fixes", ie drink a bunch, use the bathroom and lay back down... Then proceed to get back up another three times to get rid of all the extra water I had. At this point, she gets my chart and goes to talk to the nurse. The end result is that I'm allowed to drink water. So... Are you normally not supposed to drink?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
This is what happened at mine:
They draw a fasting level then have you drink the nasty drink.
Wait an hour then another blood draw

Pretty boring. Bring a good book!
Same here! This OB had me fast (no food/water) after midnight. I took a banana and water with me to have as soon as we were done and then went to Wendy's.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
I took the 3hr with DD and the drink was exactly the same as the one hour. Really, the test was precisely the same, just three hours long instead of one hour.
it should have been 100g for the 3 hour and 50g for the one hour. and you get your blood drawn 4 times during the 3 hour (fasting, 1h, 2h, 3h) instead of twice (fasting, 1h).

Those are the only differences. Some offices use different number for pass and fail. Generally the one hour is "high" to be sure to catch and retest everyone then can, including a lot of people who's 3 hour comes back fine.

Oh, and OP, I have heard if you have high carb meals before the test it can "help" I don't know how I feel about this "trick" because I had GD that was boarderline at 26w and got more and more out of control the more pregnant I got. Then I gave birth to a 9lb6oz baby at 39w

Normally they don't care if you have water. They allowed me to have water during the test! Water doesn't mess with your sugar.

Last edited by Kriket; 07-27-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
Thanks!

I called the office to make sure I could have water through the night and in the morning and they initially told me no! She double checked with someone (I was on hold for like 20 seconds) and said her initial response was correct. At that point I explained that if I didn't drink through the night I often woke up with contractions that didn't stop until I had done all of the customary "fixes", ie drink a bunch, use the bathroom and lay back down... Then proceed to get back up another three times to get rid of all the extra water I had. At this point, she gets my chart and goes to talk to the nurse. The end result is that I'm allowed to drink water. So... Are you normally not supposed to drink?
I've never heard of that before- seems pretty ridiculous to deny a pregnant woman and baby water to me!