Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapers = bow-legged baby??

If cloth diaper caused bowed legs everyone born before 1970 would have been bow legged.

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

My daughters have a PT through Early Steps and she cloth diapers So I'm guessing it's just uneducated rubbish on her part and nothing you should worry about with regards to the CDs causing it. Definitely get PT involved though if there is a concern
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarisaAndClara View Post
My daughter has special needs and sees an occupational therapist through the Early Intervention program. While the OT was visiting today she mentioned that Clara seems a little bow legged when she walks and said maybe her "bulky diapers" are causing it. She wants to refer us to the EI physical therapist for an assessment. Um...I have never heard such a thing! I mean, if cloth diapers caused hip issues wouldn't that be common knowledge? I just don't buy it. I think my daughter walks funny in the same way other 1 year olds walk funny - a little stiff legged and wobbly. Has anyone heard this before?? I'm fine with her getting checked out by the PT, but I just can't imagine her cloth diapers are causing an issue...
Lol! I would take the PT eval regardless but I promise that "bulky diapers" don't cause bowleggedness. All one year olds are somewhat bowlegged and if you or the PT are concerned then maybe visit a peds ortho doctor (who will likely crack up at the suggestion that cloth diapers are causing your girl to be bowlegged).

Side thought - cloth diapers aren't even that bulky! My husband and I got out our old Cabbage Patch dolls for our son and DH's was sporting a super old sposie from the early 80's. Now that thing was bulky!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #24
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarisaAndClara View Post
Thanks guys I thought it sounded totally crazy. Her special needs revolve around sensory processing and cognitive development - in fact, she was an early walker! The OT has always made "those" comments about CDs (how are they sanitary etc) so I guess it's not surprising she'd jump to that explanation. Her dipes aren't even that big - I used pockets stuffed with flats.
I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way because it makes it sound like I'm doing something that's causing her delays. Blahhh!
If she is making you feel this way I would look for a new OT!! You dont need that mama

And I love the name Clara!!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/

Last edited by ggill; 07-27-2011 at 07:45 PM.
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #25
Chrijodo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill View Post
If she is making you feel this way I would look for a new OT!! You dont need that mama
I stopped seeing my son's OT because she made me uncomfortable.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
llkmommy
Registered Users
seller

Aren't OT's typically more trained in upper body, while PT's are more trained in the lower body? My daughter is also in OT and her therapist will make comments, but will always say to take it with a grain of salt and to ask the other professionals. I would take the evaluation- whenever our OT recommends another eval, I take it!
llkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
Chrijodo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkmommy View Post
Aren't OT's typically more trained in upper body, while PT's are more trained in the lower body? My daughter is also in OT and her therapist will make comments, but will always say to take it with a grain of salt and to ask the other professionals. I would take the evaluation- whenever our OT recommends another eval, I take it!
OT is typically more fine motor or sensory and space perception while PT is more gross motor
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #28
Justiine
Registered Users
seller

Being Clara's teacher I am obviously biased because I love her to pieces... but with that said.. I think she looks fine, maybe a little bowlegged, but I have seen much worse without a doctor being concerned! Aubrey's legs are just finally straightening out at 17 mos and I have just started CDing in the last month as you know. How could CDing possibly cause one to be bowlegged anyways?? Do capris cause a child to become shorter??
Justiine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampyfew View Post
My son is still a little bow-legged and it has nothing to do with cloth. I'd imagine if that were the case, most people would be bow legged before the invention of sposies.
Exactly this. Everyone over the age of 50 or so would be bow legged if this were true. An severely at that bc old school CDs were hugely bulky compared to the trim dipes we use now.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #30
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was actually diagnosed with hip displasia when I was 3 months old. My daughter had the same thing (she wore a harness for 4 months). The Dr. Told my mom to use cloth diapers (pf's). She was to doulbe up during the day and tripple up at night. This was so the ball of the hip would be in the proper place in the hip socket.