Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
doodah
Registered Users
seller

what to tell this person....

another board I am on had a daycare provider that is being weird (IMO) about a baby she is taking care of. The mom provides pumped milk and the provider says that it is "icky" to handle the breastmilk in order to feed baby and she has a problem rinsing out the bottles because she feels that breastmilk is a bodily fluid (like urine and blood) and that it could be contaminating the sink area and exposing her to diseases. I know the CDC does not define breastmilk as a bodily fluid and states that it poses no danger to others. What else can I post to help her see documented proof that she is not going to get a disease like AIDS from pouring milk into a bottle or rinsing out the bottle after use????

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: what to tell this person....

I have absolutely no advice, but I admire your ability to keep a straight face through that conversation because I either would have been laughing or just staring at her, dumbfounded, lol.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Well... I don't know if I am very helpful, but I know in the hospital, it is treated like a bodily fluid. We keep it separate from any other refrigerated items and in biohazard bags. Do I think that is a bit extreme? Yes. But it is the hospital and I think many things are over-the-top in the hospital, but that is a whole different topic. I can see why she would want to be careful with it. I can even kinda see her anxiety about it. At the same time, I think "get over it" and want to roll my eyes. At work I have gotten milk squirted/splashed/sprayed in my face/eyes/mouth and I didn't even bat an eye. Other nurses, on the other hand, would go straight to employee health and want a full work up.

Maybe tell her to wear gloves, a mask and goggles if it really bothers her. Seriously, though, formula can breed so many more diseases if not handled/stored properly. Breastmilk has built in antimicrobials. Formula can't say that. (Ha!)

Some people are just silly... I think she is one of them.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i also admire your ability to keep a straight face. why is it people have these hangups with people milk, but not cow. I keep my feces off my breasts for starters. don't share a pump with 100 other people, don't lick myself clean.. I would think I have better sanitation practices than a cow.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

Regardless she needs to work out this with the parent. Obviously she agreed to take the child and the mom disclosed breastfeeding.

Passing judgement of breast milk is icky is unprofessional. SHe needs to establish rules with families such as the family provides all milk in the bottle it is to be given from at the beginning of the day and that she will not rinse them.

BTW I think this is crazy. However I doubt any research will change her mind of its ickyness. SHe just needs to be up front on how she is willing to handle the bottles.

Here is an example...My DCP is willing to cloth diaper DS but she wraps up the CD like a disposable (no getting rid of poop; leaves the disposable wipes in CD) and puts it in the wet bag on her front porch (cold or heat). This is not my ideal in managing stains in my diapers etc. However, this is what she is comfortable doing. I choose to deal with it or find another DCP. Never does DCP pass judgement on my dipes but she has clear boundaries around handling them.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket
i also admire your ability to keep a straight face. why is it people have these hangups with people milk, but not cow. I keep my feces off my breasts for starters. don't share a pump with 100 other people, don't lick myself clean.. I would think I have better sanitation practices than a cow.
ROFLMBO. That... was awesome. Hehe.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Like a pp said, momma milk has antimicrobials. Formula? Not so much. Reminds me of the difference in milk that "goes bad". Store-bought, pasteurized milk that is way past consumption date? The smell nearly induces vomit for me. Then, once, some local raw milk "hid" in our fridge (as foodstuffs are wont to do occasionally) for so long that it separated into curds and whey. I went to dispose of it outside because I figured it would reek like "regular" milk - lo and behold, it smelled (and only faintly, like... I had to put my nose right up to the bottle) vaguely of... yogurt. No nasties. But pasteurized? Ugh, sometimes I can hardly handle the smell of that stuff ON its use-by date....

Anyway. It's amazing what properties milk (momma, cow, goat, whatever) has when in its natural form...

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Elise View Post
Like a pp said, momma milk has antimicrobials. Formula? Not so much. Reminds me of the difference in milk that "goes bad". Store-bought, pasteurized milk that is way past consumption date? The smell nearly induces vomit for me. Then, once, some local raw milk "hid" in our fridge (as foodstuffs are wont to do occasionally) for so long that it separated into curds and whey. I went to dispose of it outside because I figured it would reek like "regular" milk - lo and behold, it smelled (and only faintly, like... I had to put my nose right up to the bottle) vaguely of... yogurt. No nasties. But pasteurized? Ugh, sometimes I can hardly handle the smell of that stuff ON its use-by date....

Anyway. It's amazing what properties milk (momma, cow, goat, whatever) has when in its natural form...
So true.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 07-27-2011 at 08:20 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
nrsnit
Registered Users

My Mood:

Although I have no issues with breastmilk and BF my daughter, I agree that it *is* a bodily fluid. You can pass many things to your baby via breastmilk and you can pass HIV thru breastmilk... That said, I think the chances are so slim but it is possible.

The provider could wear gloves... and the provider could request that she's not having to rinse out said bottles...

Or the mother who is providing the milk could use the bottles with the collapsable baggies and then they can be thrown away. Not much bottle clean up afterward... Just my thoughts.
nrsnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
LOVE IT!!

Does this DCP know that she doesn't need to drink the breast milk herself?? Isn't that how diseases are spread through BM? I can't imagine her getting aids from a drop of milk on a cut on her finger. BUT, I could be totally naive.