Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
nmrgrl55
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Portland/Auburn Maine mamas drs and hospital ?

Hi,
I am VERY newly preggo with #3 and trying to figure out where to have the baby as I had my other 2 in Mass. I have had 2 c-sections due to large babies (11+lbs) and I don't think I want to try for a VBA2C although I haven't completely ruled out the thought ( ). I think St. Marys and Mercy are out since I want my tubes tied and I don't think they do it so that leaves me CMMC and Maine Med. Maine Med was beautiful but CMMC is much closer AND a baby friendly hospital. I don't want to have to worry about making sure we have no bottles given so that is huge to me.

I can't seem to find any pics of CMMCs birthing unit and I want to make sure it is decent. Does anyone know how it is? Also how is Central Maine OB/GYN? I see they have Midwives and CNM but if I have a c-section can I still see a midwife or is that pointless? When I moved back up here I started going to Planned Parenthood for my yearly exams and never got a GYN so need to start from scratch Thanks so much for any info

Advertisement

nmrgrl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
littlemoose
Registered Users

Re: Portland/Auburn Maine mamas drs and hospital ?

I wish I could help you - I'm in mid Maine, and don't know anything of the hospitals below Bangor.
littlemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

Most hospitals offer tours. Have you inquired about that? I would definitely take a tour of both hospitals and see which one feels right to you. Ask lots of questions.

Even though you are having a c/s, are there things you'd like to happen? Like breastfeeding right away? Not having your hands tied down? Not having baby removed from you? Ask them what their policies are on anything that is important to you.

I know a labor nurse at MMC, and she nursed her children over a year. I can ask her about the bottles if you want me to. (If they give them to bfing babies.)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
nmrgrl55
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama4 View Post
Most hospitals offer tours. Have you inquired about that? I would definitely take a tour of both hospitals and see which one feels right to you. Ask lots of questions.

Even though you are having a c/s, are there things you'd like to happen? Like breastfeeding right away? Not having your hands tied down? Not having baby removed from you? Ask them what their policies are on anything that is important to you.

I know a labor nurse at MMC, and she nursed her children over a year. I can ask her about the bottles if you want me to. (If they give them to bfing babies.)
I definitely want to try to nurse right away. With DS1 he had some breathing issues and I wasn't able to see him for 6 hours. We went on to have a great bfing experience but I would love to have had that immediate experience. DS2 I saw within the hour so better but not great. I just kinda went with the flow with my first 2 and I have definite wants for this one.

My niece was born at Maine Med right after the renovation and it a great facility and the nurses were really good with helping her with the bfing and then they had a IBCLC available after she left as well which is great.

I just don't know much about CMMC. Everyone I know who has had babies in the area go to St. Marys so they are no help I will probably schedule a tour. It just seems weird to me that they don't have ANY pics of the birthing unit on their site. You would think they would have something!! The idea of driving 45min to all my appts and the hospital when I have one less then 10mins away and close to everyone to visit me just makes me cringe lol
nmrgrl55 is offline   Reply With Quote