Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question for non co-sleeping mamas

For those moms that don't co-sleep, how do you handle nights? DD is 6 weeks old (still 2 weeks shy of her due date-born at 32weeks) most nights she nurses every 1-2 hours with one 3 hour stretch (if I'm lucky). I'm exhausted but I know this is temporary. However I'm going back to work in 4-6 weeks and need to get a little more sleep to function safely (I'm an ER nurse). I don't want to bring her to bed with me, we did that with DD2 and it just didn't work for DH and I plus being an ER nurse, SIDS risk are drilled into my brain. Unfortunately right now if we have a bad night I end up falling asleep in the recliner while feeding her. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for non co-sleeping mamas

bring her to bed just to nurse that way you can at least be laying down?

I think if you don't co sleep then your probably not going to get any more sleep than what you are b/c you'll have to get up and down up and down for those feedings right? At least until she starts giving you longer stretches. Maybe she will before you go back to work

Last edited by doodle19; 07-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.
doodle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

You know that sleeping with her in the recliner is much more dangerous than safe bedsharing, right?

My DS spends a lot of the night in a crib or Pack n' Play. We kept the PnP at the foot of our bed, and then when every snuffle and sigh was waking me, we moved it to our walk-in closet (with the door open). I always nurse side-lying in the bed at night, but I can't generally fall asleep while nursing. Would something like that be better for you?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Get a Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper! My guy was the same way until I got this bed. It's small, but mighty. He started sleeping 4hr stints. He still sleeps 4+ hrs in this then I move him to my bed. I love how compact, portable, and awesome it is. I even used it in the hospital when he had RSV. It's highly recommended by me! Also try a white noise machine on ocean. This helped too.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, I know falling asleep in the recliner is more dangerous. It's not intentional. I just nod off around 3/4 am when I haven't had much more than an hour or so of sleep. And it's only a few minutes. Looking for ways to avoid getting to that point of exhaustion. DD isn't a great sleeper and I'm a very light sleeper, not a good combo.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23 View Post
For those moms that don't co-sleep, how do you handle nights? DD is 6 weeks old (still 2 weeks shy of her due date-born at 32weeks) most nights she nurses every 1-2 hours with one 3 hour stretch (if I'm lucky). I'm exhausted but I know this is temporary. However I'm going back to work in 4-6 weeks and need to get a little more sleep to function safely (I'm an ER nurse). I don't want to bring her to bed with me, we did that with DD2 and it just didn't work for DH and I plus being an ER nurse, SIDS risk are drilled into my brain. Unfortunately right now if we have a bad night I end up falling asleep in the recliner while feeding her. TIA!
to the bolded! That is WAY more risky than having her sleep in bed with you!! the risk for SIDS decreases with cosleeping! Maybe you meant suffocation? could you just side car your crib or use a cosleeper?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
M&LMom
Registered Users
seller

I love my arm's reach co-sleeper. My dd is outgrowing it and I'm super sad about that.
M&LMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I have the baby in a cradle next to my bed. When she would wake up at night when she was that little, I would just get up and go all the way downstairs with her, change her diaper, and then turn on the tv and nurse her while watching tv. It forced both of us to wake up a bit more, which meant she was able to get in a full nursing session without falling back to sleep (or at least, with falling instantly deeply to sleep, she was more easily roused) and I was awake and engaged enough not to fall asleep.

Both of my younger two though were sleeping through the night regularly by 12 weeks. So, you might be surprised in 6 weeks when you go back and discover that this could be a moot point.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A co-sleeper or sidecarring the crib may be the only option- at least that way you won't have to physically get out of bed to nurse and may beable to stay more rested. And who knows, maybe she'll sleep better in the room with you.

Otherwise a white noise machine or a new crib/sleeping piece may be the only options until shelearns to sleep longer stretches (which is entirely possible to do in 6 weeks!)

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

I kept DD in a bassinet beside the bed. She is now in a PnP. I have the same problem- I am a light sleeper and DD is noisy! She is a horrible sleeper, too. I just setup a little station on the nightstand with diaper changing equipment, gas drops, water for me, etc and nurse her leaning back in bed. I hope your LO sleeps better once you gotta go back to work!

I will say that in the mornings, sometimes I put DD in bed with me and I am so much more relaxed because can just open my eyes and see that she is okay instead having to sit or get up.

Good luck!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote