Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How to ask homebirth midwife for a refund

I think you should ask for some money back. At least the portion of the birth (which is probably a good $800 or so). Good Luck.

Advertisement

HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't hurt to ask, but honestly, I don't know if you'll get any money back (or should). One of the reasons I don't think midwives usually refund for hospital transfer (even if they were never with you in labor) is that they have to plan their schedules so as not to take on clients who have due dates close to each other. So, your basically "reserving" her time for those weeks that you could go into labor.

Our contract says no refunds also, and it includes if there's a need for a transfer. However, there is a cut-off date for this and there will be a partial refund if complications arise before I'm full-term and need to switch to an OB. I think this option ends well before 37 weeks though.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the arguement would be IMO that the assistant attended the birth, so there was representation at the birth.

Does it work like at ob, that you can't guarantee the MW/OB to be on duty and you could just end up with another ob/assistant at the actual birth?

If there was nobody there at all, then I could see a refund(unless stated in contract). Either way it kinda sucks that you pay for birth for both.

I'm kinda curious too as I'm switching insurance and luckily I haven't signed the ob contract thingy yet, but I hope I don't get stung by paying more due to switching halfway through pg. I know my deductibles are a pain as I've already paid about $900 oop and now will have to start a whole new insurance company deductible all over again.
I'm just not sure how the ob office will deal with it as they do the global package thingy too.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

All of the midwives I know will not refund a dime after 36 or 37 weeks, even if the midwife doesn't get there in time or a mama chooses to switch care at the last minute. Before the cutoff week, you can get a refund minus deposit and a certain fee for each prenatal visit. They've all been really clear about that in their contracts.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

My contract states that if I risk out or transfer before 36 weeks I will be charged per appointment (plus labs) and refunded the rest, but if it's 37+ weeks I don't get a refund. What kind of agreement did you have? Did you sign anything?
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
benoliviaallen
Registered Users
seller

Mine was the same as the two previous posters.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvegan
All of the midwives I know will not refund a dime after 36 or 37 weeks, even if the midwife doesn't get there in time or a mama chooses to switch care at the last minute. Before the cutoff week, you can get a refund minus deposit and a certain fee for each prenatal visit. They've all been really clear about that in their contracts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05
My contract states that if I risk out or transfer before 36 weeks I will be charged per appointment (plus labs) and refunded the rest, but if it's 37+ weeks I don't get a refund. What kind of agreement did you have? Did you sign anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoliviaallen
Mine was the same as the two previous posters.
Mine, too. I transferred and had a section, and never expected to receive anything back.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Sorry mama, I don't think you are entitled to any refund at all.

I was super bummed when my planned homebirth turned into an emergency csection. In retrospect, I think the dissappointment contributed to my very slow recovery and difficult year or so afterwards.

Last edited by Prettylocks; 07-30-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What about the whole GD thing. I'd make sure she's testing right since the ob seemed concerned...
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

I talked to her and the contract does state no refunds after 37 weeks. I'm not upset about it. As far as the GD thing, she uses urine dipsticks to check for sugar in the urine. From what she said, mine never showed any.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote