Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Jelliebean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone use a WOOD cradle?

I'm so torn on what to do.

I really wanted an arms reach co-sleeper, but you can't get them in Canada. So I was thinking about a pack N play, but I don't know....

I saw a wood (hand made) cradle on a local FS site and I was curious about using one.

Any experiences?

Advertisement

The Purple Penguin on DS
Jelliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone use a WOOD cradle?

My dad made us a beautiful wooden cradle for DD and we used it again with DS. The only issue we had was it was a little narrow so a normal cradle matress would not fit. We ended up using a sturdy blaket (not to thick just enough to make it not painful). We actually kept this one in the living room but we loved having it and plan on passing it down to the grandkids (yeah i know that's 20+ yrs down the road )
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

For his first 3 months DS was in a family heirloom cradle, the same one I slept in - actually the same one my great-grandfather slept in. Loved it!

You need to make sure that the side slats are close enough together to be safe (I think the rule for cribs is 2 3/8"), that the whole thing is sturdy (obviously), and that you can find a mattress that fits it well. If all that works out, then I'd go for it!
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used a wooden one too. It looked like this without the castors:

It worked well for the first 3 months and then my child outgrew it. The rocking function was amazing and helped when I was tired and could just put her down. She STILL does not want to sleep without me at nearly 2 years of age, so it was a life saver some nights right at the beginning there. I had it right next to my bed too.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
mijosu
Registered Users

I have a wooden cradle. The bed part hangs from 2 hooks on the stand so it swings a bit. The biggest problem I have found is that if DS (7wks) is upset or squirming around it starts to rock. Then as he's wiggling he pulls to one side, and if it rocks the other way while he turns, he ends up rolling face-first into the side of the cradle. There is a stabilizing bolt which goes from the stand into the cradle bed to keep it from rocking. I don't think it actually swings long enough to put him to sleep, unless I'm standing there rocking it. I'll start it rocking (gently, so he doesn't roll) when I put him down, but as soon as it stops he might wail.... (There isn't room right next to the bed, so he's on the other side of the room.)

Hope that helps!
mijosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Jelliebean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, maybe I'll just go with the PnP! I think it's my only option that I'm going to get the most use. I wasn't sure of the weight limit on cradles, but I am guessing from replies it's around the same as a bassinet, eh? 15ish lbs?

I just don't want to spend any money on something we're going to use for a few months, kwim?! This is our last, so it's not going to be re-used. It was so easy with DS, he was just in our bed but he still sneaks in at night most nights, and I don't want to risk it if we have a newborn in there with us too!

Thanks for the replies ladies!!!

The Purple Penguin on DS
Jelliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

We're planning to use a wood co-sleeper that someone made. We bought it from the original owner/craftsperson on craigslist. It's similar to this one: http://kidcrave.com/kids-room/baby-bunk-co-sleeper/
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have an heirloom cradle that my dad made for use when oldest DD was born and both girls used it till they were about 4 months and then they moved to there crib. It was right by my bed.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

You can get Arms Reach in Canada!

http://www.boomersandechoes.com/site...ini-Co-Sleeper

Boomers and Echos is in North Van. There must be something closer to Terrace... I ended up by driving across the line into Bellingham to go to Along Comes A Baby because it was cheaper, but these are totally available in Canada!

On another note, my SIL used a wooden cradle and had my FIL fix it up. Worked great and was very cute!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a wooden cradle. Ours is a lot like the picture of the other one posted. Our oldest slept in it here and there until about 2 1/2 months, I think my 2 1/2 year old slept in it 3 times ever and we do have it put up for this baby but who knows whether she'll use it or not. But you can also count how many times both kids have slept in the full size crib on both hands so I don't think it's necessarily the cradle they didn't like.