Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help! My toddler won't stop biting me

DD is 16 months old and has been biting really hard for the past 3 days. She has done it 4 times--2 times were really bad and the other 2 I was able to get her off before she hurt me badly.

She has bitten me every now and then ever since she first got teeth...but very rarely. All I would have to do was unlatch her and stop nursing or put her down and she wouldn't do it again.

BUT now she has started biting down on my nipple very hard and she won't let go. Then she laughs. I was almost on the verge of tears the first time she did it because it hurt so badly. I tell her that it hurts me. I don't know how to get her to stop. She laughs but then gets upset that I say no when she says she wants to nurse again right after. How do I get her to stop biting?

Advertisement

Last edited by jessca06; 07-29-2011 at 03:08 PM.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! My toddler won't stop biting me

I would probably let her get upset and not let her nurse right after (I'd offer again after like 10 minutes, though -- long enough to let the message sink in and let her know you're serious).

Can you watch her very closely and unlatch her before she even starts to bite? Tell her 'No biting mommy'; she'll start to understand. At this point with DS if he does anything that irritates me while he's nursing (like pulling my hair, pinching me, etc) I simply tell him to 'stop, please' and if he listens, great, if not he gets two or three chances and the mommy milk goes away. I'm kinda mean in that I don't even allow toddler nursing acrobatics at all, but I figure that I'm part of the relationship, too, and for me to continue nursing DS it has to not drive me insane.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosehughes View Post
I would probably let her get upset and not let her nurse right after (I'd offer again after like 10 minutes, though -- long enough to let the message sink in and let her know you're serious).

Can you watch her very closely and unlatch her before she even starts to bite? Tell her 'No biting mommy'; she'll start to understand. At this point with DS if he does anything that irritates me while he's nursing (like pulling my hair, pinching me, etc) I simply tell him to 'stop, please' and if he listens, great, if not he gets two or three chances and the mommy milk goes away. I'm kinda mean in that I don't even allow toddler nursing acrobatics at all, but I figure that I'm part of the relationship, too, and for me to continue nursing DS it has to not drive me insane.
Yes I'll have to do that. It just makes me so paranoid while nursing. I'm constantly afraid that she is going to bite. DD also pinches me and I have been doing the same as you--asking her to please stop and then stopping nursing if she doesn't listen. I just hope the biting stops soon.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cramming your pinkey in the back behind molars keeps your nipple safe. if you see that glint in her eye get it at the ready.

DS bit me real good a couple times to where it hurt sooo bad I almost weaned bite wounds never heal when they are wet and nursed on all the time.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't let this slide. I screamed "OW" since he bit me so hard and it scared him. It happened a couple times I can remember, he cried both times 'cause I startled him, but it hurt! and I kept nursing 'cause I didn't want him to think that biting me was a way for him to communicate to stop nursing. I also would tell him not to bite and that it hurts, very sternly of course.
That helped with us, hope you find something that works, being bit is no fun