Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Liam'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help with Changing-up Sleep Arrangement

My DD is 15 mos. She sleeps in a crib sidecarred to our bed, like a big co-sleeper. DH and I are ready to transition her to sleeping in her own crib in another room where her 3.75 year-old brother sleeps. The problem is I don't know where to begin. She currently nurses to fall asleep and wakes several times a night to nurse briefly to fall back to sleep. I'd love to be able to just put her to bed after a night time nursing session and have her sleep on her own in a room shared with her brother most if not all of the night. How might I make this transition with her?

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with Changing-up Sleep Arrangement

I moved DS out of the sidecar at about 20m. We had to night wean (I was PG too). We talked about "own bed" and how he was big now and could sleep in his special bed, we set the bed up so he could see it and get used to it and play on it. Then one day, we took down the crib and he slept in it! I was shocked. This is out of character for him. He's my difficult child

I would suggest deciding on how you want to go about night nursing. Is it over? Can she come to your bed and stay? Has to go back? can come once? as much as she wants? Nursing was our lynch pin, for us we had to night wean and we all got more sleep. He was totally incapable of going back to sleep on his own. He HAD to nurse to sleep. It was tiring being a FT WOH pregnant mom so it was best for us. But that's a personal decision for you and her
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Liam'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you. This gives me some ideas and more to consider!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help with Changing-up Sleep Arrangement

I had the same set up with the bed/crib. We don't have an airconditioner in the other room so we've taken our first step by separating the crib from our bed. It was a bit of a struggle at first and around 2 am she ends up back in our bed. But at least going to bed is good now. Music and a new sleep doll has worked well for us. And when she's mad I give her the dolly. I nurse her in my arms, not lying down or she won't let me put her in the crib. Then I rock her or carry her back and forth for about 5 minutes. And put her in bed, while groggy and give her the blankie. This has worked for us. She was mad at first but didn't cry more than 5 minutes. But I made sure that the first week we tried it she was past bedtime and already tired. Now she knows the routine. Of course my next step will be the separate room. I think every kid had different things they like so just try it all.