Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Thrush from hell

In the past when I've started to get thrush (the burning nipples) I've sprayed diluted GSE and it clears right up. Well, I was on antibiotics about a month ago and now I've got a raging case of thrush. I've been spraying GSE on it and it's not doing anything. I started taking probiotics and echinacea. Sometimes I think the pain is going away, only to have it come back again.

Last night I got so desperate I wiped STRAIGHT GSE onto my one nipple and it's been burning all day long. It hurts so bad. Apparently undiluted GSE was a very bad idea.

I really wanted to nurse for 2 years, but baby is 13 months and I think I'm just going to call it quits. I can't get rid of this.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrush from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
In the past when I've started to get thrush (the burning nipples) I've sprayed diluted GSE and it clears right up. Well, I was on antibiotics about a month ago and now I've got a raging case of thrush. I've been spraying GSE on it and it's not doing anything. I started taking probiotics and echinacea. Sometimes I think the pain is going away, only to have it come back again.

Last night I got so desperate I wiped STRAIGHT GSE onto my one nipple and it's been burning all day long. It hurts so bad. Apparently undiluted GSE was a very bad idea.

I really wanted to nurse for 2 years, but baby is 13 months and I think I'm just going to call it quits. I can't get rid of this.

Any ideas?
You need genetian violet. You can find it in the first aid aisle of any pharmacy. It will turn EVERYTHING purple though, and it stains clothes, so be careful with the application. Otherwise you have to find a pro breastfeeding dr who will prescribe diflucan. That will also get rid of it pronto. Dont give up mama, there are answeres! I know how terrible it hurts
Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nystatin is what I am using right now, a nipple cream for me and an oral liquid for my baby. I noticed things getting better after 3 days. My midwife prescribed it.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Sadly, I lost faith in Nystatin years ago when it wouldn't clear up my daughter's yeast diaper rash. I suppose I could try it again. And I didn't think about diflucan.

I just bought some yeast cleanse, garlic capsules and probiotics at a health food store. I may try sunning myself this afternoon. I am in so much pain it's not funny!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

I know this doesn't give you immediate relief but your diet can affect this. Cut out all the sugar and alcohol, and limit the starches as much as possible. Vinegar wash can help when preventing but usually once you've gotten that bad you need prescription strength. So sorry mama!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sure our hot AZ summer is NOT helping this at all.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaner View Post
I'm sure our hot AZ summer is NOT helping this at all.
No, it's not! When I didn't have a 5 year old boy in the house, I could walk around naked. I feel a little weird doing that now. So we're living in perma-sweat around here and I have a hard time finding time to air out the girls. (except at night, of course!)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I fought thrush in the begging.

I did use a medical topical gel but it was over the counter. Mine had Miconazole nitrate. NOt sure if that is common in the us.

In addition to that cream I:
Washed my nipples with diluted vingear after each meal and let air dry.
Exposed my breasts to sunlight a few times a day.
Used disposable breast pads and changed every few hours sooner if wet
Washed everything that touches my breasts, no reusing towels, or bras
Washed everything that touched ds's mouth
Took probiotics
Cut out as much sugar and starches as I could
Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My kids' pediatrician will prescribe diflucan for me. He is more familiar with my breasts than either my OBGYN or primary doc, LOL! No, really, he is!
I was surprised the first time he did (with ds2) as I didn't know that was "allowed".
Diflucan works really well for us. Sooooo easy too. To prevent relapse I also air out overnight and reduce sugars (still eat some though) and I try to eat more yogurt and take probiotic capsules.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Oh boy, I am SO sorry. Thrush is a horrible BEAST. I completely understand what you're dealing with unfortunately. Here is what worked for us after months and months of massive thrush battles.

http://joyfilledmama.blogspot.com/20...ould-have.html
1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote