Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

Baby cereal cookies

We had some baby cereal hanging around, and I decided to look for a recipe to use it up. These cookies are yummy! I basically did the recipe as written, as I know my bebe has had cinnamon and eggs in baked stuff already, so I'm not worried about allergies or sensitivities. I also used butter, because I never have shortening at home. The cookyness of them did a lot to hide the weird flavor that the DHA gives to the cereal plain.

Nutritious Banana-Oatmeal Cookies:
1cup enriched all-purpose flour (you can use unbleached or cracked wheat flour for more nutrition)
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon (you should leave this out until your baby is 12 months old...)
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar (optional, you can substitute ½ cup juice and add an extra ½ cup of oatmeal)
1 large egg (if your baby is under 1yr., you can substitute 2 egg yolks, or 3Tbls. Applesauce)
2 or 3 bananas, mashed and very ripe (we recommend pureeing them to get ALL the lumps out)
2 ¼ cups infant oatmeal cereal (you can use regular rolled oats but you won’t get the extra vitamins. When using rolled oats, use 1 ¾ cups oats and 1 ½ cups flour)

You can make these with or without the sugar depending on whether you would like to eat them too. It isn’t a lot of sugar and the cookies aren’t very sweet, so they are a good treat for your baby. This recipe will make 5 dozen baby sized cookies or 3 dozen regular sized cookies. (Juice will make cookies very soft.)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in small bowl.
3. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar (or juice with the oatmeal).
Beat in the egg and bananas. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 1 ½ inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 12 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on rack.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby cereal cookies

can't wait to try these. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
S4r4h
Registered Users

This is perfect!
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh yum! I have to try these. Wouldn't ya know the only thing I don't have is baking soda?? I always substitute applesauce for butter or shortening when baking, but if I did that, would it be too much if I sub'd the egg for applesauce too? And what kind of juice?
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never thought to add it to cookies! Now I'm going to have to try!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
Oh yum! I have to try these. Wouldn't ya know the only thing I don't have is baking soda?? I always substitute applesauce for butter or shortening when baking, but if I did that, would it be too much if I sub'd the egg for applesauce too? And what kind of juice?
Still haven't tried them yet. But I would think that if you were using all applesauce that you might need to add more flour or oatmeal. Since applesauce is runnier then butter and its suppose to be creamed. I think flavor wise would be fine- it would be just getting the texture right.

Don't know for sure but I would say either apple or white grape juice. i happen to have baby pear juice so thats what I am going to try.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't gone to the grocery store yet but I will in the morning and I'll try to make them tomorrow and come back and post. I didn't think about the consistency part of it, hmm. I think I'll add more oatmeal to it to try and get the right texture and I think I'll go with white grape. I wonder if these would also be good as lactation cookies or do you think the oatmeal is broken down too much?
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no idea what a lactation cookie was- I had to look it up. I don't see any thing that suggests the oats need to be whole. But then I didn't even know what they were. I believe the baby oatmeal has all the same nutrition, just not as much fiber. Could be wrong though.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

So I made them this morning. I used applesauce instead of butter/shortening and 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup white grape instead of 1 whole cup sugar. They turned out ok. More cake like than cookie, very soft. They were actually alot sweeter than I thought they would be. I also used 3 jars of baby banana, I didn't have any real on hand. Some hands got on them before I could use them. DD had about 2 small pieces of them, she isn't feeling well today. I'm going to freeze them and see how they turn out if thawed. Overall, not too bad.
Oh, I didn't cream anything together either, I'm not a big baker, so I don't know what kind of impact that has on them.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Ellysmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm excited to try these. I can seem to pump enough bm to just make the cereal(ok I never pump ha) so I have a
Box in the cabinet and baby banana in the jars (DS does not like, much prefers a real banana) so I thunk I'll try these this week!

Come earn free Amazon Gift Cards with me using Swagbucks!

Check out my listings on Ebay
Ellysmom06 is offline   Reply With Quote