Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where is the poopy?

Ok a little background info. EBFed DD from birth. She weighed 7 lbs 10oz at birth, 6 lbs 6 oz at 5 days, 7 lbs 3 oz at two weeks and 7lbs 4 oz at 4 weeks. Because of the poor weight gain she was hospitalized for a week for FTT. During those first 4 weeks we probably only saw 4 poops after the meconium passed. In the hospital we started supplementing with high calorie formula in an SNS until she had gained more than her birth weight back and then we were discharged with them telling me her FTT was caused by low supply. I have been working closely with a great IBCLC for the past 3 weeks since we have been discharged and attending regular breastfeeding support groups. I have been pumping like a mad woman, downing all kinds of teas, and taking MMP and my encapsulated placenta the past 3 weeks. When we first left the hospital I was supplementing with the SNS at every feed and DD was taking anywhere from .5oz to 2ozs of either pumped milk or formula from it. She has been pooping every other day and gaining about 6.6 oz a week on this regime. This last week several before and after feed weights have concluded that she is getting about 2.5 to 3 oz from me at a feeding so the IBCLC said we could take a few days and go back to EBFing and only supplementing if it seems she is just not getting satisfied at the breast and see how that goes. Since last Monday that is what we have been doing and she has only needed about 2-3oz of supplement a day, typically in the early evening as I seem to have a lower supply then and as of Thursday she had gained 4oz doing this. I am so excited about this it is a dream come true after what we have been through. However, she has not pooped since last Sunday! I hear all these other EBF moms say their babies are pooping boat loads so now I am getting concerned again that she isn't getting enough. I am going to see my IBCLC again Monday to see how she is gaining, but shouldn't she be pooping??

Advertisement

& Finnley Evan 2013 [2VBA2C]
NikkiGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh and she is now 8 weeks and on Thursday she weighed 9lbs 7 oz.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Where is the poopy?

My LO doesn't poop very often either and my IBCLC said it could definitely be related to my low supply. Which would make sense when you think of poop as waste and my LO is using every bit of the calories I'm giving him to grow and there simply isn't any waste.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

When my daughter was around 2 or so months she went a while with no poop. We were told that as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain or bothered by it (according to the nurse), don't borrow worry about it.
And when she went, she WENT!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

All 3 of my children have been EBF and all 3 have had different poop habits. DD2 and now DD3 are not everyday poopers. I don't have any supply issues and both the pediatrician and neonatalogist (DD3 was a 32week preemie) said this is normal. Like pp said as long as baby doesn't seem to be in any pain it shouldn't be an issue. Babies are very efficient at using breastmilk and if there isn't any "unused", then there isn't any poop. I would talk to you pediatrician just to be sure there isn't something else going on but as long as she is gaining weight, having wet diapers (an important indicator of adequate intake), and otherwise seems okay, it should be okay
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
She is having plenty of wet diapers it is just the poopy we are lacking.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where is the poopy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23 View Post
All 3 of my children have been EBF and all 3 have had different poop habits. DD2 and now DD3 are not everyday poopers. I don't have any supply issues and both the pediatrician and neonatalogist (DD3 was a 32week preemie) said this is normal. Like pp said as long as baby doesn't seem to be in any pain it shouldn't be an issue. Babies are very efficient at using breastmilk and if there isn't any "unused", then there isn't any poop. I would talk to you pediatrician just to be sure there isn't something else going on but as long as she is gaining weight, having wet diapers (an important indicator of adequate intake), and otherwise seems okay, it should be okay

As long as she has the wets and weight gain, I think you're fine. A lot of babies hit a point when they only go maybe once a week (or less) when EBF, it just usually happens a bit later

On the supply issue, have you had your thyroid checked? That is one thing that can cause low supply (btdt). My 3rd stopped bf at 6 mos b/c he wasn't getting enough :-( I'm fairly sure supply was an issue with my 2nd too, but we didn't know what was going on at the time and pedi was not very good.... didn't even consider a supply issue. I didn't find out until my 3rd was almost a year that my thyroid was *way* out of normal range. I can't tell you what a difference it has made this time around to have it right (though I'm still really paranoid about youngest ds getting enough )
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My EBF were the same way. One went 2 weeks and I called the doc. He said as long as she was wetting and not in pain, not to worry about it bc they're just using all the nutrients. My YDS only goes every 3-8 days.