Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

Reasonable offer for temporary care by a SAHM

I'm going to be asking around for a SAHM who would be willing to watch my DD in August and September. I would provide all her food. Between the yearly registration fee, daycare closing for two weeks in August (so having to find alternative care anyway), and having a new baby in late September, it just doesn't make sense to keep her where she is for those two months. She would also likely be moving to the next classroom at the beginning of September. I have to pull her out of daycare at the end of September whether I decide to go back to work or not (looking like not). I can't pay for care during unpaid leave. That's too many transitions in care and more money for less care than I'm willing to pay. DD will be turning 2 during this temporary care time.

Our current daycare center charges $720/mo for the 1yo room, and $670/mo for the 2yo room. Would $125/week be a reasonable offer for care four days a week from 7:30-5p? It would be for 8-10 weeks, depending on when the new LO arrives and if we would want to continue the care for the first week or so of newborn life. Assuming I can find someone willing to watch her for those hours short term. Any tips?

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
1healthylady
Registered Users

Re: Reasonable offer for temporary care by a SAHM

I found a SAHM who will be watching DD starting May 1. I asked her what price she was thinking about and she suggested $125. Guess I was right on target! I'm so looking forward to this change!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Glad it all worked out for you!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
AMM84
Registered Users

I'm jealous! LOL I've been trying to find someone to do in-home care for awhile. Everyone is so much more expensive here.
AMM84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
1healthylady
Registered Users

DD has been with the new sitter for a week and a half and it's going great! She has cried a couple times (including the first day!) because she didn't want to leave to come home! It feels like our childcare situation was just meant to be how all the pieces fell into place. AMM84, I hope something opens up for you soon!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds reasonable to me. I pay a SAHM $20 a day to watch my two kids. They are older 8 and 11. This will be our third summer with her and I'm pretty happy with it. She watches them all summer and during school breaks and days off. I take all of their food. She will even pick up the kids at school if they are sick for me. Much more flexible then a center.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
silver
Registered Users
seller

Wow - those childcare costs are nuts! I pay $350/month for full-time care for my three year old. Paid the same since birth.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
goldendiggers
Registered Users

i have a friend who pays $215 a week for childcare....
goldendiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
crsna8
Registered Users

I'll have to pay 280$ to cover 8 four hour work shifts. Ugh.
crsna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I would like to find a child to care for for the summer but I don't know where to look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote