Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #101
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckiilykewhoa
I am a full-time WOHM and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a unique situation though, my daughter comes with me.
Wow! What do you do?? I'd DS could come with me I'm sure I would enjoy work more!

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #102
thisismiss
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone actually LIKE being a WOHM?

Currently, I am a WAHM and I HATE it.. mostly because my job doesn't pay a lot and I don't know how to move forward with it. I am up until 3am every night because its the only time I can work since no one things I need a babysitter if I am working at home.

I am desperate to get a full-time office job to be honest. I've always loved working and it's always been my main focus in life. I got pregnant with my daughter as soon as I graduated university though and haven't had the opportunity to find proper work though. I am applying to places now and can't wait.

I love my DD, and I love that I get to spend this much time with her, but I love work too.
thisismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #103
SuperSox
Registered Users
seller

I really like my job, and while there are definitely challenges to being a WOHM, I am happy with it! I do have a job that offers me a lot of flexibility in working hours though, so I can leave earlier to pick up my son from daycare, then log on later at night. I also WFH two days a week which helps me keep my sanity!
SuperSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #104
zeldamiller
Registered Users

i think one should be proud to be a wahm. As a wahm you actually are pursing a career at the same time taking care of your kids. Not only are you contributing to the finances, but are also ensuring that your kids are not left alone.Also, working from home is a good way to utilize the free time you have in hand.
zeldamiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #105
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't like it at all (WOH). One my desire was always to stay home with my children. Two, I didn't finish my degree - and now as a single mom finances are even more challenging - I can't necessarily move up as easily. Three - daycare is SO expensive and takes up the majority of what child support I get.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #106
erin13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
I enjoy being a WOHM. I work in a school and I'm off from work for 2 months every summer, so I experience both sides every year. I enjoy spending that time at home with my DD, but I feel like I appreciate it more because I WOH most of the year. I don't think I would enjoy being a SAHM all the time the way that I enjoy and appreciate my summers at home.
This is exactly how I feel! I get my summers off, so enjoy the kiddos and the laid back life we live for 3 months. But usually come August, I'm ready to get back to work outside the home! I LOVE what I do and I LOVE my kids.

I truly think it depends on the person, the job they have and if they enjoyed it before they had children. Before I had my oldest DS, I hated my job and after I went back to work, I hated it even more- mostly b/c I had to leave him. BUT, after DS2 and DD, while it was horrible to leave them the first day back to work, I love my job enough and the people that I work with, that it makes it easier to be away from them.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #107
mmmommy
Banned

I've been a WOHM for my child's entire life. However, I lost my job right after her most recent birthday and feel pretty useless staying at home. Maybe it's because I'm a single mom and there's huge financial concerns?

I also have pretty extensive medical concerns, so the loss of income coupled with the loss of medical insurance is a huge adjustment as well.

Anyway, I never loved being a WOHM. If it was something I felt good about doing or felt purposeful...it may have been different.
mmmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #108
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hate it. My heart wants to be a SAHM but our current financial situation makes it impossible. Once our debt is paid of however things will change
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #109
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work by choice and love it. I can if I wanted to SAH, tried it and was unhappy. With #1 DS I extended leave and SAH for 6 month, with 2nd DD I choose to return to work after 12 weeks. (Note: I do get to telecommute and WAH several days a week - some weeks I work entirely from home)

Last edited by Mommimi; 10-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Mommimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #110
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

I liked working for the most part, but my job was stressful and it's really hard to balance everything when you have kids. There's a saying "You can have it all, but not all at once", and I firmly believe that.

I think that whether or not a mom is happy working really depends on how much her DH works, how much he helps out and generally how much support she gets from family, friends, childcare provider, etc. I think it also matters what type of job you have and how supportive your supervisor is. My boss is tough so I ended up working a lot of extra hours in the evenings, etc.- well over 50 hours a week most weeks. It was just too much so I quit and now work one day per week.

IMO some of us are also harder on ourselves in an effort to "do it all"- ie. try to still make all home-cooked meals, breastfeed, make baby food, cloth diaper, etc. Honestly, working is easier if you FF, DD, jar baby food, and let your family eat fast food more often.