Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #181
BabyNMe_101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone actually LIKE being a WOHM?

Wow, I'm surprised some people are WAHM and don't like it... anyway, I'm a WAHM, but I only work like two days a week. I'm actually in the middle of trying to kick-start my (graphic design!) business. I'm also a journalist, which brings in like... $100-$200 a week... which then goes to groceries, or something else that is needed... I have an 8-month-old who is pretty easy to get along with, but sometimes very demanding. I go back and forth between wanting to home school her (and whoever else comes along) and working. And I DEFINITELY go stir-crazy sometimes, cuz to save $ I don't go out a lot.

Advertisement

BabyNMe_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #182
HaileComfort
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLover View Post
I wish it wasnt full time but I love it, its a good balance I get adult conversation and socialization plus some sanity but still get the mommy time as well. Would change it for the world!!
This!!
I work outside the home, and was expecting to spend the first couple of weeks back in my office w/ the door closed, sobbing. (returned to work in January, when my daughter was a few days past 3 months old)
I don't consider myself the totally career-driven type, but I do enjoy the grownup time, stimulation, etc, that my job provides. It would be nice to maybe work 5 6-hour days instead of working full time (maybe when my husband finishes school?) so I could have more time at home, but I'm actually pretty happy right now. I think it helps that I LOVE my care provider. She adores my little girl, and is so good with her.
HaileComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #183
MyLovely
Registered Users

Totally forgot I posted this

It's been really interesting to read all the replies. I ended up deciding on a different master's program (school counseling) and will be moving to a high COL area after graduation, so unless my DP and I delay babies until age 50, SAHMing probably isn't in the cards. After spending a month unemployed and not in school though, I realized how terribly I fail at self-motivation and structuring my days, so maybe that's not a bad thing...I'd be the mom with the kids who watch Maury and eat chocolate pudding in their underwear while I surf the web
Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #184
CurlyGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
After spending a month unemployed and not in school though, I realized how terribly I fail at self-motivation and structuring my days, so maybe that's not a bad thing...I'd be the mom with the kids who watch Maury and eat chocolate pudding in their underwear while I surf the web
Had to chuckle at this!! I do so much better with a fairly rigorous schedule - I can relate!

I am a WOHM and have been the entirety of my DD's life. I took 12 weeks off for Maternity Leave when I had her and while I LOVED being home with her and just being a Mommy and a Wife, I was also really ready to go back to work for adult interaction! Not to mention, my bank account was hurting because I go crazy staying at home too long. I am very fortunate though, that I only work 2-3 days a week (12 hour shifts) with family caring for DD (and DD2, due in Sept.) so I feel like I get the best of both worlds without my children being raised by someone else.
CurlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #185
changingtunes
Registered Users

I have 4 kids and I love being a WOHM. I feel completely incompetent as a parent but I am really great at my job and it gives me a feeling of worth. I adore my kids but I know they would end up hating me if I SAH because I'm a control freak and a perfectionist. I hired a really great, patient, loving SAHM to provide daycare to my kiddos so they get the best of me and the stability of a primary caregiver.
changingtunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #186
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never at fist thought I would want to be a stay at home mom but having a child with special needs has changed that. I would love to stay at home, I love my career don't get me wrong but I know I could volunteer once my children are all in school and get the same gratification I am getting now.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #187
RechnitzMama
Registered Users
seller

I was very career driven through my 20's. Now that we move very 18-14 months for my husband's job. I provide contract work to smaller companies in the architectural industry. Before I liked it because I could pick my clients and make my own schedule, though I would work out their offices. Now that I'm a mom, can't imagine sending him to daycare to pay somone else to raise my baby. Luckily my current client finds me valuable and allows me to work from home 100%. They also let me bring him in for brief meetings. I wouldn't have it any other way. I did go through a period of questioning myself, but what's more important, I know I'm a good person and good mom, I don't need a full time job that keeps me away from my child to make me feel like a liberated woman. Some women have to go back to wrk in order to put food on the table, but my self worth isn't based upon my career, it's based upon my loyalty to my friends and family and raisin my son to be a compassionate and good man.
RechnitzMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #188
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This post is fantastic! I have loved reading the responses and it is a question/choice I grapple with constantly. I am a elementary school reading teacher and love it! I work 8-2ish which is fulltime for a teacher. I realize it is not 40 hours a week. It works well for me and my family.
Now I hate leaving my boys when they are sick which happens a lot but otherwise being a WOHM is great. It is hard but so is staying home. But I completely agree with everyone that each mother has to decide what works for her and her family.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #189
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a WOHM and I like it (for the most part). I work three 12 hour shifts/week (at a hospital). Sometimes it's a bummer that I miss certain games or school events that my kids are in, but for the most part I can switch or schedule myself off on those days if I know far enough in advance. Working just 3 days/week is almost like a PT job, though it's considered FT.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #190
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like being a WOHM, but would rather work part time. I work full time and it is too much. However, I do not like working when my babies are little nurslings. Even at 4 months old, when DH was a SAHD, it was too much for me to leave him. I felt so sad even though I worked close and went home to nurse him at lunch. I would not want to be a SAHM all the time though, and DS would be miserable. He loves his preschool and wants to go everyday, even on the weekends. He is just super social.