Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Vegetarian babies?

I have been veg for about 15 years and I want to start my daughter out veg and let her decide for herself later in life. I'm a southern gal and pretty much a big weirdo in my family for not eating animals. I actually respect hunters and could live that lifestyle but totally hate the meat industry. Anyways, would love to hear from others who have vegebabes and how you cope with family not approving or even feeding meat behind your back, I would not be surprised if this happened, trying to prepare myself for this situation.

Also how have your babies responded to this diet?
Thanks

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Vegetarian babies?

Babies don't care, you care. My baby and now toddler "responded" just fine. My husband eats meat, son and I don't. Not a big deal - we just do some of the chicken nugget substitutes, beans, and lots of other stuff. You just have to be careful once they are off of breast milk/formula to make sure they are getting the nutrients - we do 1/2 of flintstones vitamin when we remember (though we are doing formula till 2-3). It hasn't been a big deal at all for us. My mom bugged me a little but she's caved in and leaves me alone now. Everyone else respects it. Luckily today, unlike when you and I started, there are far more veggies and vegans and many places at least have something to eat. I'm with you. We are starting veggie and when he's school aged, he can make that choice - if he chooses meat, I'm fine with it, but he just has to know his dad is a sweetie so the few times I make meat (he just giggles at it knowing I did truly try), its a given it will either be over cooked, dry or something else and rarely just perfect as well, I just don't care to learn to cook it.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am retracting my question to avoid drama.

if you saw my question and have an answer, please send me a message!

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 08-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Oops I didn't see it. I'm intrigued.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
lonslee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMtnMama View Post
I actually respect hunters and could live that lifestyle but totally hate the meat industry.

Is this me typing??? I go round and round with family...needing to eat meat 14 times a day, yet wondering why the quality of store bought meat
is so bad. It's because of demand- because of you!!!

Sorry, I wish I had advice. Great topic and good luck.
lonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
lonslee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I am retracting my question to avoid drama.

if you saw my question and have an answer, please send me a message!
Hmmm?
lonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Antigone
Registered Users
seller

I've also been vegetarian for 15 years and my husband is vegetarian as well, so for us it's a no-brainer. I have never cooked meat and I don't know how. She will eat what we eat. She is 8 months now, plan to introduce mashed beans and lentils in the next couple months, just doing fruit and veg and a little cereal now but she doesn't eat a whole lot of solids at this point. My family is used to us being vegetarian so hopefully they're going to respect it. My ILs might not but we don't spend a lot of time with them anyway.
Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Oropeza13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're vegetarian..."near" vegans. I've actually had this situation happen. My MIL and SIL came to visit, and when I stepped outside helping DH unpack our car, my SIL fed my DD chicken nuggets. I was furious. I caught her mid act, and said "what are you doing" She said "oh, I didn't know what was in this?" WTH you had to make them!!! It says CHICKEN NUGGETS across the bag...the worst part is, I didn't research this company because they had bought stuff for them to eat... and DD has nut allergies. So thank goodness no reactions (from the breading). People can very judgemental around here (I live on a military base in the base housing community), but I've just learned to have thick skin. I don't judge them for what they eat, but naturally people hate or degrade what they don't understand. I just don't preach our lifestyle, if we're asked I will educate someone. Hope this helps

TTC
Oropeza13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
ArmyMommyTo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years, since I was 14 years old. I have three kids that have never eaten meat (5, 3 and 2), one that does (8-my stepson) and a DH that eats meat. My whole family eats meat, my brothers are hunters and they ALL have something to say about the not-eating-meat-thing. :eyeroll: I don't care, its a religious thing for me. Thankfully they all know that I would honestly hurt them if they fed the kids meat and haven't tried. When the kids are older they can make their own decisions, but until then, no meat for them!
I've also had a couple doctors try to tell me that I NEEDED to feed the kids meat. When my ODD was younger, she was a VERY picky eater (still is) and the Dr said it was because she needed to eat meat, like she missed something she'd never had. Another told me that I didn't know how to feed a veggie toddler (what?!), when she saw that YDD hadn't gained weight (other then a pound or two) from 4m to 12m. She also told me to stop BFing, though, and actually seemed upset that I was even thinking of still BFing after a year. She was an idiot, obviously. I also proved her wrong about the veggie toddler comment, after I took the base nutrionalist a list of what she ate in a two week time frame. YDD was usally over in calories, fat and protein almost everyday, without even taking the BM into consideration!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Erinne
Registered Users

My dd and I are technically pescatarians, but we very rarely eat fish. I think maybe one time dd accidentally had a bite of meaty pizza that my dh left within her reach, but I really don't want to know. He learned his lesson about leaving things where she can get them regardless! I do worry a lot about my family trying to give her meat, and I know my mom has tried to sneak things in (soup with chicken broth is NOT VEGGIE, urg!). It really sucks because we can't leave dd alone with my parents because they won't respect our food choices, but it is what it is, and it's important to us. We do live far away from them, though, so we don't have to deal with it often.
Dd is doing great, though. She's a very healthy and varied eater and is growing very normally. It's really a great choice for kids, I think. We'll let dd choose for herself when she's older, and my dh is a omni so she'll have some exposure, but I really hope she chooses not to.