Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My 8 year old son has always been a vegetarian, although we and none of the other kids are. He doesnt like meat. We have never had an issue and he refuses food loudly.

My parents of course think he needs more protein, but he is fine. Growth is great and he is very active with good muscle tone. He does take supplements though.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
branman1986
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Vegetarian babies?

Just wanted to add that you might not be letting them make the choice to eat meat later if you withhold it now. Maybe this doesn't happen for everyone, but my wife and her sister have never eaten meat from birth(they do eat seafood). If she or her sister eats so much as a tiny morsel of meat accidentally, they uncontrollably vomit all night long from their stomachs not being able to handle it. Therefore she can never eat meat and really her parents didnt give her any choice with her diet by removing it from her diet entirely during her childhood.

Maybe she could slowly get her body to adjust to eating meat, but I seriously doubt it since it would be such torture. Even a single bacon bit hidden in a salad sends her body reeling.
branman1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
ArmyMommyTo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman1986 View Post
Just wanted to add that you might not be letting them make the choice to eat meat later if you withhold it now. Maybe this doesn't happen for everyone, but my wife and her sister have never eaten meat from birth(they do eat seafood). If she or her sister eats so much as a tiny morsel of meat accidentally, they uncontrollably vomit all night long from their stomachs not being able to handle it. Therefore she can never eat meat and really her parents didnt give her any choice with her diet by removing it from her diet entirely during her childhood.

Maybe she could slowly get her body to adjust to eating meat, but I seriously doubt it since it would be such torture. Even a single bacon bit hidden in a salad sends her body reeling.
That is true for everyone to an extent, your body is not used to digesting meat, so it doesn't take the process too well. However, it is possible for you to eat meat without getting sick, eventually. My DH has one friend that had very hippie-like parents and never ate eat until he was a teenager. He's now a BIG meat eater in his late 30s... Another friend of mine grew up Seven-Day Adventist, so of course never ate meat. She started eating meat, also as a teenager, and still does eat meat a bit. So it can be done, its just a pain in the butt.
I do plan on helping my children make the switch to meat-eating if they so chose (though I'm fairly certain at least my ODD won't) and my husband was well aware of how difficult that task will be when HE decided that the kids won't eat meat. I left that up to him, the meat-eater.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by branman1986

I think maybe they have digestive issues. My lo's were all vegetarian and now at 13, 10 and 8, 2 of the 3 eat some meat. It was not my choice to introduce it my ex dh gave it to them, but they never had a problem with it.
My 13 yo odd eats a bit of chicken and she is very healthy, tall and thin. My mom always says the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Anyone who questioned my food choices can now see they were good ones
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
branman1986
Registered Users

My Mood:

Can they do beef and pork? I hear chicken isn't so hard to digest, but beef and pork are the really baddies.
branman1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by branman1986
Can they do beef and pork? I hear chicken isn't so hard to digest, but beef and pork are the really baddies.
My DS eats anything sausage, burgers, ham. My dd2 eats mostly chicken, turkey, beef and bacon. I wish they didn't, but me being a veg was my choice so I respect their choice, though I buy only free range/organic "happy" pigs/cows/chickens. It's our compromise
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My bff is vegetarian and her h is not. The kids are vegetarian because she is the one that makes all the meals.

On the few occasions her kids have been offered meat, they didn't want to eat it.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote