Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
onyxxmoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! MY DS WON'T SLEEP! PLEASE!!

Mamas- please please please help me! My 17 moth old son refuses to sleep... He won't go down for naps, and he is awake until 3 or 4 every single morning... Some nights, he will go down for 3-4 hours initially- So, from 8-midnight. But, he almost ALWAYS wakes after and won't go back to sleep.... I have raised him so far, almost 100% naturally- IE worn him in a sling, breast feed, attachment parented, co-slept (until 3 or 4 months ago), feed him home-made food, cloth diaper.... So, to 'Ferberize' him would be totally opposit from anything we've evr done before... And I have been SO upset thinking about it.
Our friends, doctor and family ALL are telling us that letting him cry-it-out is the only way to 'break' him of this 'habit'... BUT it just feels so freakin' wrong to me- But both DH and I NEED sleep- I can't be the best Mother to him, or wife to DH if I don't get some sleep soon...
What have you done? Did you just ride it through or let your DC cry? PLEASE PLEASE help me... I know that there is a lot of other stuff going on on DS rightnow, but ANY input would mean the world to me... thanks mamas...

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLEASE HELP!!! MY DS WON'T SLEEP! PLEASE!!

Oh honey! I've never experienced that, I'm sorry that I'm not help that way. Do you nurse/co-sleep? Is he just waking up to nurse or have a bottle and then goes back down? Or is he just UP that late? If he's up that late, is he wanting to play? Is he super crabby during the day?

Sorry, just questions going through my head.

Sending you
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like a food allergy/sensitivity to me mama. What does he eat?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
amanda308
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was wondering what he eats too? Sometimes that can really effect sleep.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
onyxxmoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
Oh honey! I've never experienced that, I'm sorry that I'm not help that way. Do you nurse/co-sleep? Is he just waking up to nurse or have a bottle and then goes back down? Or is he just UP that late? If he's up that late, is he wanting to play? Is he super crabby during the day?

Sorry, just questions going through my head.

Sending you
Thank yu so much for responding! I just went to put him to bed and he WENT DOWN!!! First Try!!! YAY!!!
But, to answer you ?s:

No, I don not nurse/co-sleep anymore... He sleeps in his crib, in the room right next to DH & me... I am going out of the country in a month or so for a medical treatment, and Ry MUST be 100% weaned by then, so we have switched him to his bed... BUT, he slept great for over a month when we first moved him in there- and then he started teething and all h*ll broke loose- BUT I really don't think that his non-sleeping now is due to that... It just doesn't seem like he's in pain-
We have a Yoga ball that we sit on, while cradling him in our arms, and 'bounce' him to sleep- (after I am done nursing him) So, lately, he just sits ther while we're bouncing away, with his eyes WIDE open... And kind of kicks his legs like he's ansy or something...
OH mamas- I hope I'm making sense!

And, he eats all 100% whole, homemade foods- Fruits, veggies, wholegrain breads, whole grain crackers... BUT he has been eating cheese lately... which is relatively new to his diet... AND I think he is sensitive to yogurt, so I stopped DH from feeding it to him... Maybe he has a dairy sensitivity!
Sorry for the book mamas- if you are still with me THANK YOU!!!!!!

Last edited by onyxxmoon; 04-05-2007 at 06:57 PM.
onyxxmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
SahmIam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you might be a little stressed right now, so before you do anything, just take a nice relaxing breath or two so you can decide what's right for you. I can only tell you what I would do or what has worked for me, but it sounds like I'm no where near as AP as you are so I hope you just take my advice with a grain of salt. What I would do is establish a solid bedtime routine, like at whatever time you brush teeth, take a bath, read a story, whatever it is you do. Then you can put him to sleep however you want. I would have him fall asleep in bed, not while you're holding him just because if he wakes up alone and the last thing he remembers was that you were snuggling but are gone he might get scared. If (when ) he starts to wake up, make sure that the house is calm and it's apparent that nothing exciting is going on without him. If he comes into your room just take him straight back and tell him it's time for bed until he stays, no matter how long it takes. Eventually he may give up but probably not without a fight.

I did let ds cio one time. He was to the point where he would wake up in the middle of the night twice and each time it would take me no less than two hours to get him back to sleep in his crib. So one night I was talking to my mom on the phone and I was so exhausted and upset that she made me promise her that I would try letting him cry to see if he would fall asleep. I very hesitatingly agreed and he was angry for about 5 minutes then called out for me a little less and less until he fell asleep. It was the longest 22 minutes of my life, but he went from the way I just said he was to sleeping through the night immediately. I still can't believe it. I thought CIO was a terrible thing to do and never wanted to try it, but now that he's rested he is so much happier during the day. And so is mama.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

First of all that really sounds like it could be the dairy. Remember it takes 2 weeks to get out of the system at least so just make sure you don't give him any at all and see if that helps. Dairy is hidden in some things, some breads, etc. so make sure there is none in anything else he is eating.

Second, if you're leaving and your kind of aprehensive about it, he may be picking up on that.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
Jane456
Registered Users
Formerly: lindsaym
seller

I would talk to your pediatrician - we mentioned to ours that our munchkin slept terribly (relatively similar - asleep for up to 2 hrs at a time, then awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night). They actually referred us to a pediatric sleep disorders clinic at the Childrens hospital. We worked with a psychologist there and a number of other physicians specializing in dietary interventions, neurology, etc. All in all they developed a strategy for us that actually - to my absolutely surprise - worked! And we didn't have to let him CIO, which I was opposed to. It might be worth a try, there could be more going on that simply diet or hyper-awakeness that may need to be evaluated.

Good luck mama - I completely feel for you. Hope you get some sleep soon.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

If I feed Mikey Dairy I will be up all night with him...

Mikey is almost 16 months and *still* wakes up once/twice a night for a bottle..I think its just a comfort thing...but I have them all ready and give them to him...or else if I let him cry he will wake himself compeltely up and then its too late we are up all night.

BUt just recently I started having the same exact problem with him sleeping a coupel hours then waking and staying up all night...to which I would rock him for hours and try to sleep like that...oh to sleep anywhere is great....but it went on and on and I thought that was how things were going to be...but then he wnet back to normal...so I think babies go on cycles good bad good bad, mayeb this is just his bad??

Hang in there mama...I dont CIO with MIkey either...but sometimes I find that if I put him in there he will *fuss* not scream for liek 5 mins and then fall asleep so maybe try that ... Sorry mama I know what it feels like to not have any sleep and feel like youre losing your mind and just want the baby to please sleep