Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
newdsmomma
Registered Users
seller

I'll Show, Someone Tell! Help with FOE!

So I am a sewing newbie but am pretty good at applique and things involving mostly straight stitching (dresses for my DD, soft-soled leather baby shoes, longies), and taggy blankets. So tonight I decided to pull out that FOE I'd bought and give trainers a try. I've never made a fitted, cover, or anything else involving sewing elastic or FOE, but read a tutorial and thought I'd try a prefold converted to a trainer. I used an online trainer pattern and a prefold I had.

So what am I doing wrong, ladies? I'm using the three-stretch zig zag. It's coming out fine on the top, but the bobbin/underside gets all knotted up every single time I sew more than a half inch.

I'm guessing it has something to do with how tight I'm pulling the FOE, or how much I'm allowing the prefold to gather, or the stitch size, or something else I haven't yet thought of, but I've finally given up (you can only use a seam ripper so many times on FOE before it's useless and I'm running out of the little bit I bought).

Can anyone give me a diagnosis and cure? Please, please, please?

Advertisement

newdsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
st_leah
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I'll Show, Someone Tell! Help with FOE!

I'd say either your needle isn't agreeing with your fabric...try a 'sharp' needle or that your bobbin is needing to be cleaned. This happens to me on any fabric if my bobbin has 'caught' a piece of thread. Change your needle, clean your bobbin and try again. GL
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
happymom83
seller

My Mood:

im thinking bobbin trouble
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Z's Mama
Registered Users
seller

Do you have a brother by chance?
I have one and sometimes when I put the bobbin in, the thread doesn't get caught on the bobbin tension thing like it's supposed to. Try putting your bobbin in again. When the bobbin thread doesn't catch, sometimes it does that and sometimes it's okay. It really depends on what I'm sewing.
Z's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bobbin trouble, make sure it's in and threaded correctly and tightly. also make sure your needle on your machine is facing the right way. when it gets put in backwards it will knot the thread.