Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Opinions on Medela Freestyle

Anyone who has used the PISA have any opinions on the freestyle? My PISA is broken and I need to replace.it ASAP. I have low supply issues and need a good pump to help maintain my supply. I will be home with my son by myself with hubby gone for 14 hours each day, so the idea that I could be mobile and pump is very tempting!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
bedheadmaestro
Registered Users
seller

Re: Opinions on Medela Freestyle

I had a freestyle and it did not maintain my supply. In fact I blame it for me drying up after I went back to work. I was told by a newly trained IBCLC that they recently realized that the soft flanges that the Freestyle comes with do not do as good of a job stimulating the breast as the hard plastic flanges. I believe she told me they were being discontinued. Plus you don't really know when the battery is fading- I mean the recharge battery sign turns on, but could it be that the suction fades before the pump alerts you to low battery? And it was so loud, it made a grinding noise with each pump. When I first used a PISA, I was like "wow, I didn't know pumps weren't supposed to snore!"

The fact that it is so small is nice, because I could stash it in my work briefcase and nobody was the wiser. (But you have to carry a separate cooler for the milk anyway. I would much rather have the PISA pump bag with a built in cooler.) The hands-free belt and strap set up is a joke. I wish I still had the picture of me attempting to vacuum while pumping with its crazy rubber straps. It was so odd and medieval looking that I deleted it. I eventually just got a hands-free pumping bra and stayed seated and read, because you have to walk slumped over funny anyway, in order to ensure the milk goes into the bottles and not down the tubes. I suppose you could wear a hands-free pumping bra and sling the PISA bag over your shoulder.

But after learning about the soft flanges, I blame it in part for killing my supply, and I EP'd with it for a week in the beginning and power pumped for a long time. I had it checked for suction all the time and it was passing the tests. So I'd look in to at least getting the personal fit flanges for it.
bedheadmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love mine. I've never used the PISA, but I did have an Ameda purely yours.

I did replace the soft flanges with hard ones because I need the smaller size.

I will say that the suction doesn't seem as strong as my purely yours, but it works for me.

I love that you don't have to have it plugged in and that it is so portable. I use the hands free attachments at work and they are great. I don't use any of the memory features but I like the let down button.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I have a PISA (pump-in-style, right?) and I really like it. Works great. I only use it to donate so I don't use it to maintain a supply or anything but I think it would do well for that. I heard from the LC's at the hospital I worked at that the freestyle doesn't do as great a job... never used it, though.

Have you seen this link? Might help with pumping. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

GL!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Started with a PIS, upgraded to the Freestyle when DS # 1 was around 5 months old. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Freestyle, and never had issues with loss of supply. I also LOVE the Freestyle's way of charging like a cell phone. I am not sure with the PP's comment, but mine was very easy to see when it needed a charge because it starts at 3 bars, goes to 2, then 1 - just like a cell phone battery. It pumps 200 minutes before it needs a charge. I also love that you're not connected to a plug, which is perfect for me (a teacher) because I can walk up to the board and write questions to prepare for the next class while pumping.