Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Swelling??

So I'm 38w 6d and wondering how much is too much... So via google I found as long as its not your face it's normal. DH is worried and wants me to call the dr because of the amount of swelling.

Over the past two days my fingers have become sausages, stiff and painful. My feet are swollen to the point where it's painful to walk. And my ankles just do not exist. I had an acupressure appt and an hour later I still have 'dent' marks in my ankles.

I've been trying to convince DH this is normal, he is starting to freak. Thoughts??

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

That happened to me a couple days before dd was born. The day that labor started it was the worst though.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Swelling??

With my first, my feet were so swollen I walked into the hospital barefoot because I couldn't even stuff them in my flip flops. They say "SUDDEN" swelling is alarming. So if this has come up out of no where or suddenly gotten very severe, you need to worry. If it's just gradually gotten worse or you've been up a lot, then get it checked out. Face and hands are usually the worrisome triggers, although my hands swell easily anyway.

Drink lots of water and keep your feet elevated above your hips as much as possible and see if it improves (this late, it probably won't completely go away, but it may get some better). If it continues to get worse, check it out.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I would call tonight and see what your on call person recommends. They may just want you to come in first thing in the morning but they may want you to go to the hospital to get checked out. Noticeable swelling is not a great thing.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
alyssamaile
Registered Users
seller

Since you still have the dents and hour later and it is painful, I would recommend calling tonight just to check in, better to be safe and get the dr's advice.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would probably call and check with the doc, just in case. How are you doing today?
Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
holmochel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 36 weeks and having the same problems, came on suddenly Friday night. I've put off calling the dr. thinking it's just normal summertime pregnancy swelling. Watching to see what you're told! Hope you've gotten some relief though
holmochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would call to make sure. Pain and constant swelling is worrisome. Have you checked your BP? I know my hands get swollen or my ankles do, but if it was painful or lasted a long time, I would call.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's about the same today.... ill call after work I really don't want to have my coworkers listening in. My BP has been good I have a machine to check at home.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

If your BP is normal then it is probably not anything more than pregnancy related swelling, but still anything excessive should be discussed with your provider. I had a couple days where it was warmer out and the I had been really active where I was a bit more swollen than I've been in past pregnancies. My BP was nice and low still and after increasing my fluid intake (even more than I had already) and resting it was much better. I'm currently trying to aim for drinking a gallon of water a day and at least a couple rest periods of laying on my left side. My baby is so low that it really provokes swelling in my legs right now

I tend to get a bit of mild swelling all over in the very end of pregnancy (even in my face) and I definitely don't have Pre-E. In fact I have pretty low BP. Its just normal for me to get a bit puffy. I have heard of Pre-E coming on very quickly and dangerously though so I definitely would check in.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote