Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

OT: Colors of amber and gender

Do you think certain colors of amber necklaces look better on boys or girls? I always feel like the super light color has more of a feminine feel to it. I'm trying to decide what colors I want for the new baby for an anklet and I'm not sure which way to go for gender neutral. My DD has mixed colors in her necklace and I'm thinking that's the best way to go.
I could care less but my DH insists that anklets and necklaces on boys does not look good so if I buy something that he thinks looks super girly he's going to make a big deal about it.

Pics are great too if you have a boy in an amber necklace or anklet (since girls can wear whatever shade, according to my DH).

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think of light yellow as girly. Mixed or dark as boy. But honestly ethier gender can wear it and it look great!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
days_fly_by
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: OT: Colors of amber and gender

The lighter, milkier amber theoretically contains higher concentrations of succinic acid, which is what you're after if you are wanting the amber to help with the pain and inflammation of teething. I bought the 'Boys Mixed' from Inspired By Finn for my son so every other bead is a 'milky' bead. And whether or not it had anything to do with his amber, he was seriously the easiest teether of my four.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
loving my family
Registered Users

I have 1 that is honey colored every 3 beads then dark cherry every 3 beads for my oldest & he looks like he should be a surfer or something real cute on him.
I also have a dark cherry for my youngest ds it looks great but his big sisters could wear it & look great too.
I really thinks it a matter of personal preference with skin tone cause the honey cherry colored 1 does not look good on my youngest ds. The honey color made him look pasty he is more olive colored not golden like his brother I hope that makes sense & doesn't sound strange.
loving my family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
jacksmimi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's my Believe me when I say my dh is manly, a cowboy, raised in a rural area and law enforcement for 24 years. You know, one of those guys you look at and say "oh he's a cop" Prior to my dd he would have never been part of the "amber works for teething" camp. Let's just say "terrible teether, sleeper and temper tantrum Amelia was born...the rest is history.

Now all my kids wear it for different reasons, and he has an opinion about colors too! He wanted a mixed one for ds#1 who is olive skinned and can pull off the milky beads. I am all for choosing a color that looks best on your baby's skin tone. My ds#2 wears dark honey/dark cognac. And dd wears lt honey/lt cognac. I just couldn't picture the younger kids in beads barely darker than their skin

Here's some pics of my 2yr old Caden in the backyard (he uses his for drooling - ick!) Good Luck!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
keithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ds has one that alternates 3 dark beads and 3 light beads.

Last edited by keithmommy; 10-26-2013 at 09:16 PM.
keithmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with you, the palest of ambers I think is perfect for girls (I plan on getting one for DD), but I think almost any color could work on girls. On boys I think definitely a medium or darker tone works best. Heres the one I ordered for DS due in October...

http://balticcreations.net/index.php...products_id=58

I chose a medium toned one, I know he'll be pale and most likely blond too so I didn't want to order anything too light, but I worry sometimes that the darkest ones might not go with everything (clothes). Also (just my personal opinion) I think some shapes of the beads work better on boys than girls (the nuggets I think work better on boys, kind of reminds me of a "surfer dude" type necklace and again i think girls can pull off just about anything!)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got a lighter-colored one for DS, and I do think it looks girly, but I think that is more because I got it too long. If I could do it over again, I'd get one with a mixture of light and dark. On a better note, the light-colored stuff definitely does its job! Anyways, he is still as cute as a button!

Last edited by PerfectFifth; 08-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.
PerfectFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

jacksmimi your son is so cute! I think the lighter is great for girls. I just ordered a light honey off of etsy last night.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
jacksmimi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls View Post
jacksmimi your son is so cute! I think the lighter is great for girls. I just ordered a light honey off of etsy last night.
Awww thank, you thank you! He's terribly charming, sometimes it's hard to reprimand the lil terror!

But I am with you, I keep looking at Etsy, FSOT etc. I can't take my eyes off everyone else's Amber, I want them all! Then I ask myself how many necklaces does a child need?