Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
artmother
Registered Users

Drawing out inverted nipples

Has anyone been able to do this? I read that using breast shells BEFORE the baby arrives can help. One person suggested "pulling" on them. Mine are flat most of the time and when I pinch them they sink in.

No one in my family has been successful a BFing due to this and I am determined to BF and wanted to know it there is anything I can do to ahead of time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Vicki

Advertisement

Last edited by artmother; 04-05-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: siggy
artmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Drawing out inverted nipples

Mine are mostly flat, sometimes inverted, LOL. Talk with an LC if you can find one about using shells.
I used shields after my kids were born and although I still think I have more discomfort while nursing than those with "regular" nipples we still have a great bfing relationship.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm interested in this post too. I was told I'd never nurse w/o sheilds after 8 weeks of trying and I gave up way to easily. I'm wondering about those shells too.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
jcreedon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Drawing out inverted nipples

I have 1 nipple that is inverted and with my first son all the "professionals" failed to recognize it. I suffered with hospitalizations because of mastitis, lots of pain and many bouts of mastitis before I found my "Angel" lactation consultant. She suggested that I NOT use the shield (lets face it, it's not comfortable and not fun to use). She suggested that I pump first to draw the nipple out. Time consuming, yes! Worth it, YES! I breastfed my first son until he was 25 months old (I was 7 months pregnant when he stopped) and only had to pump to draw the nipple out for probably 4-5 months. With my new baby it has been much easier because I know what I am doing. I will tell you that for me nursing on that side is a bit painful. This time I am mostly pumping from that side because my sister is adopting an infant (June 2 arrival) and I am giving her my breast milk. #1 bit of advice: DON't give up if this is truly what you want to do! Many "professionals" will advise you to "try an alternative", but know that it can be done with some persistance and some patience! Good luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

There is a device that will help tremendously, I'm trying to find the link and will post later with it.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
tyles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one that is partially inverted. I found that if I reach "in" if that makes sense and squeeze/roll it I can get it out enough to latch on. The shield lead to me stopping with my first. I think if I hadn't listened and used the shield, I probably would have nursed her longer and maybe attempted with #2. I had to manually draw it out for #3 for the first several weeks, then he was strong enough to get it out on his own. Same with #4. I do have a lot of pain when nursing on that side right now. It appears that I have a large slit in the nipple that isn't healing. I don't know if that is related to it being partially inverted or not.

Oh, the shell they recommended wearing between sessions did absolutely nothing for me. I don't know if that is still recommended, that was over 10 years ago.

I nursed #1 with shield for 5 weeks, didn't attempt #2, nursed #3 for 11 months and #4 is now almost 9 months and still going strong.
Do I owe you feedback?! Don't hesitate to remind me!
tyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never used a shell, but I DID use a shield which worked wonders. They can be a pain making sure you always have one. Then baby may only prefer to nurse with the shield on both sides. My son did however wean himself from the shield out of the blue one day when he was 4 months old. It was such a blessing!

But yes he did need it to nurse effectively at first. The nursing sessions were really long.

Mandi
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I have flat nipples and I used shells while pregnant. Just for the last month to two months of pregnancy. Also, I'd suggest having a nipple shield on hand just in case. You don't have to start out using it, but if you find that latching is impossible because of your inverted nipples, then you'll want to use it.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Okay, here's a link to a product by Avent that is called the Niplette
It looks like it would work, but I've not had experience w/it personally.

Here is a link to a product that can be found in adult toy stores, but it is listed on Amazon so I hope it's okay to link to it.
Nipple Bulb
Also look at the "you might also like" links on the page.
The price on amazon is the highest I've seen it go for so unless you have a problem purchasing items from adult toy stores you might do a froogle search to find it cheaper.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine were flat after having baby and i used the medela shells in the hospital and after I got home. the instructions my nurse gave me were to put them on x amount of minutes before i was going to nurse.....worked out great for me!! HTH