Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Drawing out inverted nipples

I know this is not a popular method but my daughter was 2 months early and a shell did not work my LC told me to get wool yarn and make a slip knot and get the nipple hard and slip it on and only tighten enough to keep it out and wear both nipples like that and honestly still to this day i dont have flat nipples and she was able to nurse with them on too HTH

Advertisement

mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum0fthr33 View Post
I know this is not a popular method but my daughter was 2 months early and a shell did not work my LC told me to get wool yarn and make a slip knot and get the nipple hard and slip it on and only tighten enough to keep it out and wear both nipples like that and honestly still to this day i dont have flat nipples and she was able to nurse with them on too HTH
Wow! I will try that next time. How often did you do that? It sure beets making sure I had the shield, and that it was washed after every use.

Mandi
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was able to wear them almost all day and didnt really notice any discomfort from it and the wool is antibac so didnt have to worry about having to keep washing them but do make sure if you do it that they wont come off when the baby nurses. but after about a week a did notice a huge diffrence in my nipples and she would latch without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
Wow! I will try that next time. How often did you do that? It sure beets making sure I had the shield, and that it was washed after every use.

Mandi
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #14
artmother
Registered Users

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions ladies.

With everyone else in my family giving up on this I know it will be hard. I really appreciate getting some ideas. I know BFing is best for the baby and am determined I can do this.

Thanks again! Vicki
artmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
DakotaRose
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have one very inverted nipple and one that is great. We don't have any lactation nurses around here so I talked with my sister-in-law. She suggested that I did not use the shields and instead just manipulate the nipple out with the fingers before a feeding. I never thought it would work, but it did. I had one bought of mastitis which we dealt with at home with ground flax, charcoal and comfrey made into a pultis. Now with my second daughter it has not been an issue at all. I nursed my first daughter for 20months and then my next daughter was born 6 months later. As for it being painful to nurse on that side, nope. I haven't had any pain with nursing on that side. Both girls actually preferred that side for nursing cause the milk ducts seemed to be more plentiful and also that side lets down faster then the other side. I know you are suppose to start on the breast you finished on the time before, but I always start on the same side and finish on the same side. Both girls nurse in the same manor and nurse till one side is finished and then finish off the next side. I never had any luck with pumping. I could only ever get a couple ounces out and that still left my breasts feeling full so I just didn't do it. I don't know if that helped at all, but just thought I would share what worked for me.

Blessings,
Lydia
Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #16
marmotamonaxes
Registered Users
seller

I would use the pump to draw them out! Most BF classes teach that shields are BAD, and to only use them for very short periods (blisters, etc)
Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #17
jax
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotamonaxes View Post
I would use the pump to draw them out! Most BF classes teach that shields are BAD, and to only use them for very short periods (blisters, etc)
I agree with trying the pump. I have a really inverted nipple and was really worried I wouldn't be able to BF on that side but the MW and LC all assured me it would work fine. I started wearing the shield in my bra at night in the last months of pregnancy but my nipple always retracted as soon as I took it off. I brought the shield to the hospital with me and at first I thought there is no way that little mouth is going to work with this and I was totally wrong...DS didn't seem to notice a difference between sides.

I also recommend seeing a good LC. I could never get DS latched without the shield but the LC grabbed DS's head and my boob on day 1 and he latched immediately. She assured me that his suction would eventually draw the nipple out enough to nurse without the shield (she said no more than 5 weeks). She was totally right. She also gave me a manual pump to work on that nipple in the interim. If I had a LC there to help me get DS latched every time I could have done without a shield but I absolutely could not figure it out on my own so the shield was a lifesaver for us.

I still have inverted nipple but DS has learned to just suck and it comes out very easily now.

I will say I did have more soreness on that side when nursing without the shield at first so I cheated a little and used it even after we didn't need it because I found it to be less painful. It is now 9 weeks and no shield and easy BF'ing.

Try not to give up if you have trouble at first mama. Those first few weeks are really trying but the reward is the greatest!!! Good luck!

jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #18
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotamonaxes View Post
Most BF classes teach that shields are BAD, and to only use them for very short periods (blisters, etc)
Sigh. Do what you need to do, mama. I don't think I'll ever figure out in what universe shields are a high crime. I had one inverted nip and was thrown a shield in the hospital--Today, DS is 9 months old, exclusively breastfed using a shield from the start. I've never had mastis or been bitted or any other problems. Ever. DS has never had blisters or any other "problems" with using a shield. And the closeness is absolutely there. And it IS still a TON of convinent than bottles and formula and pumping. I'd much rather only wash one little piece of silicone after every feeding than the entire pump, bottles, nibbles, rings and pay for formula.

Like I said.. you do what you need to do. I took a BF class and shields were mentioned... but not that they were BAD.. but that they allowed many women to nurse comfortably. If you've never used one.. then you just don't know.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintan's_mommy View Post

If I had a LC there to help me get DS latched every time I could have done without a shield but I absolutely could not figure it out on my own so the shield was a lifesaver for us.

I will say I did have more soreness on that side when nursing without the shield at first so I cheated a little and used it even after we didn't need it because I found it to be less painful.

Why is using a shield "cheating"?? sorry.. this is totally my soapbox arena. I use my shield to nurse in public (and at home) all of the time.. and guess what?? People only see me as a nursing mother--not as, GASP, a cheating, bad shield-using mother. YOu are right-it IS less painful. There was no LC there at the hospital when I gave birth--I was lucky I had taken classes and was dedicated because DS had a horrible latch for 3 days. I was bloody and awful. DS was jaundiced and I refused to give formula. Finally my milk came in and something had to give. SO I used the shield. We've tried to get rid of it once...but the hassle of getting rid of it is much more than the hassle of using it.

To the OP: if you do land up needing to use a shield, don't let it get you down. You're breastfeeding.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote