Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
tylersmom13
Registered Users
seller

outgrew infant, looking for convertible recommendations

So 9 month old DS is about an inch short of the height limit on his snugride (still only weighs 18 lbs, string bean). I need good recommendations for a convertible seat, or tell what seat sucks so i can avoid it. Ive been looking at the graco myride 65 and it seems good. Also which britax is best for 9month old to 3/4 yrs old? Thanks so much!

Advertisement

tylersmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: outgrew infant, looking for convertible recommendations

Avoid the complete air. They do not allow you to have a more upright position rfing. So you have to have it in a recline for NB's even for older infants. That is the main one I can think of to avoid. Lots of convertibles are great out there. I would say once you get your list of ones to look at, go to BRU if possible and ask to try in your car. They let you take the floor models out. Make sure the seat fits installed in your car. Make sure that you can get at the harness adjuster on the front of the seat (some of the seats are really hard to get to when rfing) Make sure it fits with any other carseats you may have.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Madeline's Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you want a Britax, I would recommend the Marathon 70
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the Marathon 70 and love it. The Roundabout 55 is also a very nice seat, for less mone. Many people love the Myride, although I am not a fan. It installs very reclined forward facing in a lot of cars. The only seats I would skip are the Graco Comfortsport and any of the Safety 1st All In One's.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
I have the Marathon 70 and love it. The Roundabout 55 is also a very nice seat, for less mone. Many people love the Myride, although I am not a fan. It installs very reclined forward facing in a lot of cars. The only seats I would skip are the Graco Comfortsport and any of the Safety 1st All In One's.
Can you explain the differences between the marathon 70 and the roundabout 55? I know that the 70 harnesses to 70 lbs and the 55 harnesses to 55 lbs. What about install? Which takes up less room front to back? And what about height? Are they about the same for height rfing?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

How does he fit in the Snugride? If he has more than 1" of hard shell above his head, you've got a little time. If he has less than 1" above his head, he's already outgrown it and you need a new seat now. Overall height is less important for carseat fit than where their head sits in the shell.

That said, a Graco MyRide65 is an excellent choice and will keep most kids rfing until 3ish years old (some kids to 4yo). In some cars, it is too reclined ffing and is considered incompatible, so if you plan to use it both rfing and ffing, try the ffing install in your car too.

Other choices would be:
Britax convertibles (RA55, MA70, BV70) - They have the same basic shell height as the Myride, allow rfing tether, and the MA70 and BV70 have a no-rethread harness, but they all also have less leg room and are more expensive. They do have the easiest install though.

Evenflo Triumph65 or Momentum - taller shells and top slots than the Britax convertibles or the Myride, and a no rethread harness, but some people dont like the way the harness adjusts.

Radian 65SL, 80SL, XTSL - tall shell, highest rfing weight limit in the US, allows rfing tether, and narrow footprint making 3across possible, but diff to install (esp rfing) and has Superlatch loosening issues in some cars and seatbelt incompatibilities in other cars (and both in some cars), so it's a tricky seat and not one I'd rec and unless you have needs for one of its functions (super high weight limit or 3 across).

FirstYears TrueFit, TrueFitRecline, or TrueFit Premier (sold as the Lamaze Truefit @BRU) - easy install, no rethread harness, tall shell, not on a high base (so easier for kiddo to climb in themselves when they get older AND less likely for you to bump kiddo's head on the roof as you put them in the seat while they are younger), and the TFP has an anti-rebound bar for rfing, but it only rf to 35lbs (ff to 65lbs) and the harness adjuster can be hard to get to on the reg truefit and the recline (no prob on the tfp). However, 35lbs will prob get your peanut to 4 and the continuous harness means you don't need to adjust the straps very often.

My personal fave is the TrueFit (we have a TFP). I love the Britaxes for the easy install, but by 2yo, my kids don't like them anymore. They love the more leg room they have in their rfing radians and truefit. We don't need the extra rfing weight limit and the Radians are such space hogs (plus we have superlatch loosening in our car), that I'd happily replace w/ all truefits except that I do need 3 across from time to time.

Seats to skip: Graco ComfortSport, 3-in-1 seats (make terrible boosters and have relatively low weight limits and harness slots), combo seats (ffing harness converts to hbb), and the Safety First Complete Air (unless you are willing to go against the manual, b/c it prob wont fit in 99% of cars the way they want it installed)

GL mama!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Roundabout 55 and the Marathon 70 are the same basic shell. The main difference, besides the weights, is that the Marathon has a no-rethread harness. The RA55 has more realistic weights than the MA70. Pretty much no kid will make it to 70lbs in the MA70, but a lot could make it to 55. My DD probably will.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
The Roundabout 55 and the Marathon 70 are the same basic shell. The main difference, besides the weights, is that the Marathon has a no-rethread harness. The RA55 has more realistic weights than the MA70. Pretty much no kid will make it to 70lbs in the MA70, but a lot could make it to 55. My DD probably will.
My DD is fairly small. She is 17lbs, 14 months and about 26 inches tall. I fear that she will outgrow any seat by height before weight. We are trying to decide between these 2 seats, considering one is cheaper too. I am only concerned with rfing limits right now. When she turns around we will be able to get another seat if needed. So I am not needing one to go to 70lbs! I am really just concerned about height rfing and how each seat fits in the car. We tried the 70 in our car and it fits nicely. But we haven't tried the roundabout yet. So if they are the same basic shell, it should fit good in our car and rfing height would be about the same with either....right?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you're concerned abt front to back room, the Britax seats or the TrueFit are your best bet. They take up the least room front to back.

The Britax seats all have the same shells, so they will all fit in the car (front-to-back) the same. The advantages of the MA70 over the RA55 are the no-rethread harness and that Britax says the top harness height is taller in the MA (only matters for ffing). The weight limits are a non-issue, both rf to 40lbs (which I doubt you'll need, my kiddos were both heavier than yours at 9 mths and DD is only 30lbs and she turns 4 next mth), and both will be outgrown by a child around 50ish lbs.

FWIW, my DD has outgrown the "classic" (35lb rfing) Britax seats rfing by height (height is roughly the same btw old and new, the new ones are tech shorter than the old ones). She still fits in the TrueFit Premier.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

we have a true fit and a RR55 for my 1yr old. I think they are both great seats and she is comfortable in both of them. I like the harness better on the true fit...its easier to adjust. Both seats were really easy to install. both seats fit great in my honda civic and my pilot