Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
You can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox. Being exposed for a second time to chickenpox can activate shingles. But you cannot give chickenpox to someone if you have shingles. So if a 40 year old has shingles and is exposed to your child they cannot get chickenpox.

Only 25 percent of people ever get shingles, and usually after 40 years old and 80 percent of cases are in the over 60 crowd. Pediatric shingles is super rare and usually happens when a baby is exposed to chicken pox in utero, then exposed again to chickenpox after birth.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
For the 50 millionth time: you can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox.
Not true - you can get shingles if you never had pox, but did get the vaccine
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
You can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox. Being exposed for a second time to chickenpox can activate shingles. But you cannot give chickenpox to someone if you have shingles. So if a 40 year old has shingles and is exposed to your child they cannot get chickenpox.

Only 25 percent of people ever get shingles, and usually after 40 years old and 80 percent of cases are in the over 60 crowd. Pediatric shingles is super rare and usually happens when a baby is exposed to chicken pox in utero, then exposed again to chickenpox after birth.
Also not true - if you've never had pox & never got vaxed for it, you can get chicken pox from someone with shingles
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

I was told that when you have shingles you can give cp to a person. So i was to keep my shingles covered bc of that.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...viral/574.html

It explains. Yes you can give cp to someone if you have shingles. Bottom of page.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I will get a link later, but the national instistue of neruology and stroke says otherwise. (as far as giving shingles to a child) What I should have said was that they can get chickenpox but not shingles, if they have never had it. Trying to type and read and take care of my kids.

There is a chance you can get shingles if you have been vaccinated, but it is much milder because the vaccine is attenuated and there is not enough years of use to say what the percentages would be.

Last edited by ktmelody; 08-02-2011 at 05:59 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, so to sum it up...

--Virus causes chickenpox (varicella-zoster).
--Virus stays with you for life, dormant, and can lead to shingles if reactivated by compromised immune system (same virus, then called herpes-zoster -- think of it like the difference between "Sally" as a girl and "Sally" as a women as far as terms go).
--Vaccine (varicella) can lead to shingles (herpes-zoster).
--Shingles can be spread through open blisters as the virus and cause chickenpox in others who have not had chickenpox or the varicella vaccine.
--Shingles cannot lead to shingles in other people, only to chickenpox, and only to those who have never had chickenpox or the vaccine.

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chickenpox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
This is correct.

I grew up around a lot of old timers and I never heard you would be protected from shingles as an adult because you had CP as a kid.

It IS better to get CP as a kid. IMO it is better to get it as a kid then to forget to get revaccinated sometime around 20 or 30, end up with it then and then still not be protected against shingles.

Shingles recurrence seems to be a genetic thing. You are either predisposed to getting shingles frequently or your not. Everyone in my biological family has had CP as a kid, no one came down with shingles. Shingles isn't on my to priority list. Some families aren't as lucky.

It also seems as though reexposure to the CP virus seems to protect against shingles later in life. Which is why people are now more worried about shingles because they won't be getting reexposed as much with kids being vaccinated.
From what dd's ped said cp vax is recommended around 18 months and 5 years?, then not anything until a booster around 50...I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he said that there wasn't a booster recommended in 20s-30s. (We are not getting the cp vaccine.)

Children do usually suffer a milder case of cp than adults so it is easier on them (usually) to catch them as a child.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I guess I just picked up what I heard as child and developed my own idea of CP and shingles, lol! Thanks for all the info mamas!

My son has still not broken out with any pox but is developing a different kind of rash on his face.... my dd has a few more "pox" today than she did yesterday.... not sure what's going on. Looking forward to our appt with the Doc tomorrow morning!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I think my kids might have chickenpox. I'm looking into information on it and surprised that every source is telling me different info than what I grew up hearing! I used to hear that it's best to get it while you're young, you will have a milder case of it, and once you've had chickenpox you will not get it again. You will have lifelong immunity and you will be protected from shingles as an adult. What happened to this???

Now I am reading that once you have had the virus it remains in your body, dormant, forever?!?! And it may re-emerge later in life as shingles in a period of stress...?

Of course all the sites I am reading from are really pushing the vaccine. Actually one site had NO information about the virus and symptomes, ONLY information about the vaccine. Weird.
Any chance you're in northern Cali and wanna meet up i'd really like mine to get them, and be done.