Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: Chickenpox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
From what dd's ped said cp vax is recommended around 18 months and 5 years?, then not anything until a booster around 50...I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he said that there wasn't a booster recommended in 20s-30s. (We are not getting the cp vaccine.)

Children do usually suffer a milder case of cp than adults so it is easier on them (usually) to catch them as a child.
The last I heard was that since cp is a new vaccine they really don't know yet how people will react to it and how long immunity will last so they will be altering the schedule when they begin to notice people start to develop cp again.

From what I read the reason there is a recommendation for later in life is in hopes of protecting seniors (or rather people who will relatively soon be seniors....don't want to offend anyone here lol ). They really aren't sure what the in between ages should be.

Granted I read this a while ago, maybe 2 ish years ago or so. So I definitely could be wrong but that is my understanding of it.

Since they don't seem to know when immunity will/if it will wear off I was guestimating when I said 20-30 year old because it is bound to wear off sometime in a person's adulthood.

Advertisement

Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #22
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Is it possible to just be naturally immune to the virus??

I wasnt vaccinated, never got the pox... my mom used to make kids rub their pox on me and make us swim together. Neither my sister or I had it.

So I wont get shingles, right? But I might still get CP?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #23
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Lifelong immunity due to having Chickenpox is also not always true. Some lucky people never develop an immunity. DH has had chickenpox (verified by a doctor) 3 times. He also broke out with about 20 or so pox after DD got the vaccine.

In case anyone cares, there is a shingles vaccine for those who have already had chickenpox. Obviously because of the nature of the virus, a vaccine can only do so much when you already have the virus. but it does reduce the incidence of shingles by around 50% and, more importantly, reduces the risk of neurological damage by 67%. Better than nothing. The target group is those 60+.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Really, it sounds like either way, you are open to something pretty crappy as an adult. I never had CP as a child & got it at 27 when I was 5 months pg. CP as an adult is hell. It was worse than when I had H1N1 when I was pg. I have a weakened immune system & catch a lot of fun stuff, esp when pg.
I don't doubt that shingles is awful but I would not want to leave myself open to CP as an adult either. I was sick as a dog with CP & in bed for a full month. Then I spent the rest if the pregnancy not knowing if my baby was affected.
I don't know what the solution would be for adults. Sounds like either way, the door is open to something yucky.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #25
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Let me know if you get a confirmation on the pox please! I'd love to throw a long distance pox party for my DD lol
Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
medireh09
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
you cannot give chickenpox to someone if you have shingles. So if a 40 year old has shingles and is exposed to your child they cannot get chickenpox.
The above statement is incorrect. Shingles and chickenpox are both varicella. The virus present differently, but can be passed to an unvaccinated child as chickenpox. I know this to be true because my son contracted chicken pox from my father, who had a mild case of shingles. My little boy then spent two weeks in the hospital on antiviral therapy because he does not have a fully functioning immune system (due to chemotherapy). The varicella virus can cause viral meningitis or varicella pneumonia, both of which could have been fatal to my child. The information I present here is what I was told by the infectious diseases personnel at the highly respected children's hospital where my child receives his care.
medireh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #27
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wanted to throw in CP as an adult is a biotch and can be fatal

and i have heard they will only give vaxes for shingles to 65+, don't know if that is true
Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #28
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
But you cannot give chickenpox to someone if you have shingles. So if a 40 year old has shingles and is exposed to your child they cannot get chickenpox.
You can get cp from shingles. It isn't as contagious but t is possible. I know a kid who got cp from his dad getting shingles and know I read it is possible.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #29
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a mild case of shingles and within 3 weeks all 3 of my boys got chickenpox even though they never touched the blisters. It is possible and I was warned it might happen by my doctor.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #30
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Chicken pox as either an adult or child can be very miserable and lead to hospitalization. Death from complications is even possible, although statistically very unlikely without some other health issue that leaves the indiividual very immunecompromised.

As far as lifelong immunity, we are discovering that neither the vaccine nor wild chicken pox is 100% effective in creating lifelong immunity. Even wild chicken pox is so uncertain that our local Children's Hospital is requiring employees to prove immunity rather than just history of Chicken Pox. I had to go in and get titers drawn where even six months ago, they accepted the history of chicken pox that my doctor listed on my health record. The reason for the titer (or proof of vaccination) is because many who had a history of chicken pox were recontracting it and potentially exposing sick kids.