Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Questions for Doc & Hospital--Am I missing any?

So, I did "all" the research before #1 was born & have been a major slacker this time.

I'm not writing some huge, elaborate birth plan this time, bc they never even GLANCED at it last time.

I am going to have a post card w/ a bulleted list for DH & I to use to remember what to ask for & when.

I'm going to talk to my doc today at my 36 week appointment & possibly walk up to L&D and talk to them & the nursery workers about the things on my list.

Can you help me remember if I am missing anything?

1. Repeat C/S (most likely)
Can I have my arms not strapped down?
Can I keep my sports bra on?
Can Dad "catch" baby (after he's out, cord is cut, confirmed he's breathing/healthy, hand directly to DAD, not a nurse)?
I am GBS+ but do not want pumped full of fluids prior to surgery, can I skip the antibiotics or get it without fluids?
Can I bring an ice pack or wet/cold rag into the OR for DH to use on my head? (I was woozy during the surgery last time & there was nothing for DH to do & I couldn't talk bc I was so upset.)

2. Big Brother
At what point will it be BEST to bring big brother (21 months) to see his brother?
What hours will he be allowed to visit?

3. IV
How long can we avoid fluids/antibiotics prior to surgery?
How soon post-op can I have the IV removed?

4. Newborn Care
No bath--but I'd appreciate it if they didn't even TOWEL him off before I SEE him. I'd like to KNOW if he was covered in vernix or whatnot. I do not believe they come out all sparkly & I want that "real" image to remember.
I want to delay Hep B until we at least see his pediatrician--any issues/waivers?
No eye medicine please.
No Vitamin K unless delivery was traumatic .
Baby doesn't leave me & dad, no "mandatory" observation.
Can one grandparent still go to nursery for initial APGAR assessment? Can we video this procedure? Or can it be done in room? (I'd like to know what goes on.)

Anything else?

Obviously if I get a VBAC--we'll have to do the GBS+ antibiotics prior to delivery, which will be okay, but as soon as they are done the IV is gone. I do NOT want to be a bloated fluid blimp.

If we get a VBAC it will be all natural, so no pain medicines to worry about & I'll be a lot more coherent after delivery to delay cord cutting, nurse, and bond immediately with baby. Basically, if I get a VBAC I want the LEAST possible intervention....I just don't think its going to happen, since we're at 36 weeks & he is still breech.

Advertisement

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions for Doc & Hospital--

So I guess nobody had any other suggestions?

Well, here are the doctor's answers:

Nope, have to have one strap at the elbow. Can remove it as soon as surgery is over. He said to ask a nurse to remove one side when I get to see the baby during surgery & they might do it!

Can I keep my sports bra on?
No, but I can ask a nurse to fold up a sheet & tuck it around me/tuck the girls in, so I am not "freeballing".

Can Dad "catch" baby (after he's out, cord is cut, confirmed he's breathing/healthy, hand directly to DAD, not a nurse)?
No, baby goes directly into the pediatrician's hands. Then DH can have him.

I am GBS+ but do not want pumped full of fluids prior to surgery, can I skip the antibiotics or get it without fluids?
IF I go into labor on my own, I will have to have fluids while laboring/waiting on surgery.
IF I walk in for my scheduled c/s (at 39 weeks and 4 days) I will only have 1 liter of fluids pre-op & then fluids DURING surgery & then they can discontinue them immediately AFTER surgery.

I forgot to discuss the GBS part.

Can I bring an ice pack or wet/cold rag into the OR for DH to use on my head? (I was woozy during the surgery last time & there was nothing for DH to do & I couldn't talk bc I was so upset.)
Forgot to ask this one.

2. Big Brother
At what point will it be BEST to bring big brother (21 months) to see his brother?

He can come to the post-op room 1 hour after delivery.

What hours will he be allowed to visit?
Same visiting hours as all other non-dad/grandparent visitors.

3. IV
How long can we avoid fluids/antibiotics prior to surgery?
How soon post-op can I have the IV removed?

Answered under #2

4. Newborn Care
No bath--but I'd appreciate it if they didn't even TOWEL him off before I SEE him. I'd like to KNOW if he was covered in vernix or whatnot. I do not believe they come out all sparkly & I want that "real" image to remember.

Forgot to ask this--he said anything to do with the baby is up to the nurses/pediatrician there that day.

I want to delay Hep B until we at least see his pediatrician--any issues/waivers?
He asked WHY and I didn't have the research with me, he said they will want him to have it before discharge & I said we'd probably talk to the pedi about doing it at a later date. I think what I read was that they are more able to handle it when they are older.

No eye medicine please.
I didn't talk to him about this, but I know we skipped it with Luke & it wasn't an issue.

No Vitamin K unless delivery was traumatic .
He said they are going to want him to have this as well. I think I'll talk to the pedi & arrange either to do supplements myself or to give him an oral dose.

Baby doesn't leave me & dad, no "mandatory" observation.
Didn't ask about any "mandatory" obs, but we know they will let Dad stay with him.

Can one grandparent still go to nursery for initial APGAR assessment? Can we video this procedure? Or can it be done in room? (I'd like to know what goes on.)
Since it has to do with baby, I didn't bother asking.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions for Doc & Hospital--Am I missing any?

Wow, I'm surprised at his response to the hep b shot. You can start that one at birth OR 2 months (or later or never).

If you are leaving your son intact, I would make that be known big time because mistakes do happen.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at his response to the hep b shot. You can start that one at birth OR 2 months (or later or never).

If you are leaving your son intact, I would make that be known big time because mistakes do happen.
We will be staying intact. It's actually part. Of registration, so its on my chart...but you have to sign a waiver when they actually take the baby too....so we will be sure there are no mistakes

Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
3ringcircus
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would look over the birth plan sticky from our ddc - I remember seeing several on there from repeat c/s mamas that had some good ideas - such as when to have the urinary catheter put in, etc.
The Apgars can basically be done in a glance - color, tone, breathing, response to stim, and a quick heart rate check (this can be done by feeling the cord or with a stethoscope). Perhaps you're thinking of the initial assessment? There we check breath, heart rate, and bowel sounds; pulses in the arms, wrist, and groin; fontanels (soft spots); and then for abnormalities such as cleft palate, spinal problems, imperforate anus. They might pass a suction catheter down each nare to check that there is no blockage.
HTH

Kathy
3ringcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
DoulainAK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I noticed you didn't update what your doc said about video of your procedure. Video is a big no no in cesareans. Hospitals don't want the possibility of any liability. They are even pretty particular about photos during surgery.
DoulainAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I just had a CBAC and it went beautifully! I def recommend putting something in regards to baby and husband in the recovery room. I started nursing within 10 minutes of her arrival and it's been so smooth since.

Good luck with your son! I got to see my bloody, vernix covered baby, wishing the same for you.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulainAK View Post
I noticed you didn't update what your doc said about video of your procedure. Video is a big no no in cesareans. Hospitals don't want the possibility of any liability. They are even pretty particular about photos during surgery.
OH, yea, I know that part. I am more curious about what they are doing to the baby when they take him in the nursery.

With my son, the last few minutes of my surgery, they took him (with Dad & Grandma) to the nursery and did a bunch of "testing" to make sure he was healthy, then DH brought him back to my room. I think one of the previous posters mentioned the things they are checking for, I just thought it would be cool if we got a video of it.

My family was allowed to take pictures from outside the window, so this time around I think I'll just ask them to video from out there.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulainAK View Post
That is absolutely NOT true. I have had four, soon to be five, c/s and we have videotaped all but the first one. It has never been an issue. My girlfriend has had 3 c/s and had videotaped all three of hers as well. It depends on your OB...if you're interested ask!!
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions for Doc & Hospital--

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post
So I guess nobody had any other suggestions?

Well, here are the doctor's answers:

Nope, have to have one strap at the elbow. Can remove it as soon as surgery is over. He said to ask a nurse to remove one side when I get to see the baby during surgery & they might do it!

[/I]

Just wanted to say that the anesthesiologist will be the one to ask on this, not the OB. When I had DD (c-section) I was not strapped down at all. He gave me washcloths to hold in each hand and placed a washcloth over the forearm of the side with the IV as a reminder not to move my arms without telling him first. I was not restrained in any way. If it is a big issue for you, then tell the anesthesiologist when he/she comes in to do the epidural that you specifically do not consent to restraints during the procedure.