Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
universe2
Registered Users
seller

didn't realize how hard breastfeeding really is!

this is my first baby and first time nursing with no guidance from anyone since everyone and even my mom formula fed but it is alot harder than what i thought other women make it look so easy!

my baby is eating great and loves nursing lol but it somtimes takes up to 30 minutes to get him to just latch on! he fusses alot and roots all over getting super super excited! i think he gets to excited and when the latch doesn't happen right away he gets upset?

he nurses every 2 hours, will it get any easier? he's almost a week old so i know we are both just still learning

i really want to just go to church but am worried he will be to fussy when trying to nurse and my boobs will be everywhere leaking milk lol

would you guys suggest a nursing cover? blanket? or how do you nurse in public without making a huge scene?

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes it will get easier. You guys will figure each other out and get a lil routine going. Does your church have a cry room? Ours does and that's really helpful for new nursing moms because it will just be moms of little babies in there usually. If they don't have a cry room I'm not sure what else you could do...

Oh a nursing cover works for me sometimes to because they can't pull it off like a blanket. And some nursing covers have boning in the top so you can see baby easier while trying to get your latch. I would only recommend one like that...

Last edited by A&M'smommy; 08-02-2011 at 10:15 PM.
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

Re: didn't realize how hard breastfeeding really is!

Do you know about kellymom.com? Every question I ever had about breastfeeding I found the answer on there! Also saw this list of links posted today: http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/1239...atural_fanpage
And Best for Babes has some good info too. It definitely gets easier! I usually just use a blanket for nursing in public and kind of drape it over my shoulder. There are some really cute nursing tops too that help, especially when you are atill getting the hang of things. Congratulations on your new baby!! And it was very brave of you to be the first in your family to bf!
DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Target has awesome nursing tank tops that I layer underneath my clothing which means any shirt can be a nursing shirt. I also love Motherhood's nursing tops, you can get a good deal from their sale racks. Depending on how comfortable you are, you could nurse your baby in a ring sling. I was shopping the other day and DS was eating in the ring sling and a stranger was talking to me about her friend's baby and she had no idea I was nursing the whole time
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
heatherz1982
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm also a first time mom, and I promise it does get easier. My DS is now 9 weeks and I feel like we're pros now. The first 4 weeks were challenging with sore nipples and getting the hang of latching on but we got through them so stick with it and you'll both get into a good routine soon Oh and my DS is now sleeping through the night for 6-7 hours so that helps alot too!
heatherz1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It is really hard and time consuming.....at first! Keep at it, it does get sooo much easier and quicker! Look up your local La Leche League and attend meetings for support, they are great! I second the nursing tanks for nursing in public, and I would either use a "hooter hider" brand cover or a muslin swaddling blanket (sold at target) if you want to use a cover. I honestly stayed home from church for about 3 weeks until we were kinda decent at nursing and after that spent many a Sunday morning (all morning) in the nursing moms room. It's a slow process so just give yourself grace and it will come eventually. Ask a few people what other nursing moms do at your church, I'm sure they're out there . Hang in there!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
kferg
Registered Users

For me the 1st month was the hardest. Remember you are still recovering and this is a first for you and your son. IT GETS BETTER!! It's normal for him to be eating every 2 hours and it's okay for you to be tired of nursing. I remember my first month or two I was so over being tied to the couch feeding my DS. It felt like that's all I did was feed him. But somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks he's started going longer between feeding.

The good news is that as soon as you two figure each other out you'll have the BEST pacifier ever. Anytime he's fussy you can just offer up the boob and it'll calm him down. I went to a movie and just let me DS suck away and he was quiet the entire movie! AND when he had shots I just popped him on right after and he stopped crying right away.

As far as covers I LOVE this cover: https://www.uddercovers.com/cart
It goes around the neck so your LO wont expose you and it has a plastic piece to bow it out so you can see whats happening. I'm always getting free promo codes where all you have to do is pay shipping. If you check it out you can type in family2011 for a free cover. I have 2 so far. I've tried other s but I like these the best.

Keep up the good work! It REALLY does get better.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
kferg
Registered Users

For me the 1st month was the hardest. Remember you are still recovering and this is a first for you and your son. IT GETS BETTER!! It's normal for him to be eating every 2 hours and it's okay for you to be tired of nursing. I remember my first month or two I was so over being tied to the couch feeding my DS. It felt like that's all I did was feed him. But somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks he's started going longer between feeding.

The good news is that as soon as you two figure each other out you'll have the BEST pacifier ever. Anytime he's fussy you can just offer up the boob and it'll calm him down. I went to a movie and just let me DS suck away and he was quiet the entire movie! AND when he had shots I just popped him on right after and he stopped crying right away.

As far as covers I LOVE this cover: https://www.uddercovers.com/cart
It goes around the neck so your LO wont expose you and it has a plastic piece to bow it out so you can see whats happening. I'm always getting free promo codes where all you have to do is pay shipping. If you check it out you can type in family2011 for a free cover. I have 2 so far. I've tried other s but I like these the best.

Keep up the good work! It REALLY does get better.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS is almost a month old and I am with you 100%. We have had a rough start to breastfeeding. He has reflux so he nursed non stop until his medication started working. My supply is low, and after working tirelessly around the clock to increase it, and being frustrated by LCs saying I just needed to nurse more to increase it (which would have required doing nothing but nursing) found out from my doctor I medically can not produce more milk. We are finally settling into our groove, latching him is getting quick, my nipples have healed, we have mastered laying down to nurse, and I can nurse in public very easily if I bring my boppy and nursing cover. Today I am determined to figure out nursing in either the ergo, the mobywrap or the ring sling and once we do that we will be pros. It does get better even with a crappy start!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hang in there, things will get much easier! I just had my 9th, and some of mine have been so easy to breastfeed right from the start and others we've had to really work at it and overcome hurdles before we get to the "easier" stage. When you're in the middle of it, it seems like easier days will never come, but they do and it's so worth it to stick with it. I waited 6wks to go back to church this time, because ds would mostly only latch on in a side lying or football hold and I didn't want to do that in public. Even when I went back at 6wks I took my Boppy with me just in case. Now at 3mos ds is nursing great, and I'm really enjoying breastfeeding him.

Stick with it! Better days are right around the corner!
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote