Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
tylersmom13
Registered Users
seller

Which britax is best?

So i have an almost ten month old who is 29 inches tall and weighs 18 lbs. We currently use graco snugride. He is almost at the height requirement and i want to get a britax (open to other recommendations as well). Which is best for us, marathon or boulevard? Oh also i drive a suzuki forenza (very small), but will hopefully be getting a van in January once this car is paid off

Advertisement

tylersmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Which britax is best?

The best seat is the one that fits your child, fits your car, fits your budget and can be used correctly 100% of the time. All seats pass the same testing and only Sunshine Kids releases their crash test information so as far as we know all seats are equally safe. I question why Britax (and the other manufacturers for that matter) don't release their information to back up the things they claim about their seats. There are tons of great seats out there at all different price points. The pricier seats have more features and can be easier to use than some of the less expensive seats. Are you looking for this to be the last seat you have to buy? What are your rear facing goals? Do you travel often?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
tylersmom13
Registered Users
seller

we dont go on long trips very often. I plan on using this seat until we switch to booster. Also want to do extended rear facing. Was also going to ask if anyone thinks its a better idea to buy a used britax (found one year old cow boulevard on craigslist nearby) or a brand new evenflo etc. Our budget is about $150 give or take.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

NO! Don't buy a used one on CL whatever you do. You don't know the history of the seat, if it's been in an accident, etc. Even if it LOOKS nice they could be lying, you just don't want to trust a stranger with your child's life.

It's up to you, they are basically the same seat except the Boulevard is more expensive and has head wings. I have a Marathon 70 and it's really nice and the sides are very deep so I feel like it provides adequate side impact protection.

ETA: if your budget is $150 you should look at the Roundabout 55, it has the same shell/height as the Marathon/Boulevard but it doesn't have the no-rethread harness and it has a lower weight limit. Most kids will outgrow it by height before weight anyways though

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 08-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
tylersmom13
Registered Users
seller

thanks mama! does the roundabout have as much padding etc, im really picky about the amount of foam under the bum lol
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Please do not ever buy a used seat unless you trust the seller 100% with your child's life. The Britax name is not some sort of magical spell or bubble that will protect your child. A misused or abused seat is not going to perform better because it's a Britax.

If your budget is $150 I would look at the Graco MyRide 65 and the First Years True Fit. Keep an eye on the www.strollers.com clearance section and you might be able to snag a Sunshine Kids Radian that is within your budget.

With many good seats at all kinds of price points there is no reason to go broke to get your child a seat.

ETA: The Roundabout will not get most kids to booster maturity. Most kids are not ready for a booster before age 5. If you go with the Roundabout you will likely have to buy another forward facing seat later down the road.

Last edited by monica-m; 08-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
tylersmom13
Registered Users
seller

thanks mama! wow, yea i figured since the seat was manufactored last year itd be ok. Youre right though, its def not worth the risk. I originally had looked at graco myride but then i thought oh well britax is safest seat in the world better get that lol. Thats for the roundabout advice also, def want something that can last a while. So which is best britax(ill fork out the $$ if i have to), radian, myride, or truefit? thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersmom13 View Post
then i thought oh well britax is safest seat in the world better get that lol.
This statement is false. We do not know that Britax is the safest seat. All seats pass the same testing and only Sunshine Kids releases their crash test results. If Britax was that much better, wouldn't they be releasing their data to prove that? All the seats on the market pass the same testing so as far as we know they are all equally safe. Please do not perpetuate this "Britax is the safest" myth. You can get a safe seat that is within your budget and will last your child to boostering maturity if you choose a different brand.

ETA:
There is no best brand. The best seat is the one that fits your child, your vehicle, your budget and can be used correctly 100% of the time. You really should go to BRU and try some seats out in your car to see what fits well. Try your DS in some seats to see how he fits in them and see if he reacts to any of them. Play with the seats and see if there are any features that you love or hate and then shop around online to see where you can get the best price.

Last edited by monica-m; 08-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
tylersmom13
Registered Users
seller

sorry not trying to spread fallacies
, i just kept getting told that. Thats a good idea, i didnt even know you could try the seats out. We bought the snugride when i was prego so of course didnt think to do that. Thanks so much for all your help!