Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: All the BLW peeps are gonna yell @ me...

I'm not a big BLW mama, but I see nothing wrong with watching your baby's cues and feeding as you see fit. I was also told that yogurt is safe under 1yr as is egg "yolk" but not egg "whites" or whole eggs.

eta- Also, every baby is different and I think we can agree on that. My twins were born at 34wks and at 3mos they had tripled their birth weight and were hungry! Their Ped said to go ahead and start cereal and baby foods. I was young and didn't research it but they did fine it satisfied their appetite. My next baby wasn't as eager and I tried a few times before he was actually ready and knew he wasn't so we waited. My 4th hated baby foods and cereal. Seriously. HATED it. So we went straight to table foods around 9-10mos old. My last was different, he was EBF for longer than the others and had a milk protein allergy so we waited to try solids until he was 6mos old (he had a fingertip of mashed veggies at dinner a couple times, but nothing consistant) and we were very slow to add a new food. This next baby will probably be just as individual as the others and we'll go at his pace.

Advertisement

Last edited by TwinKristi; 08-03-2011 at 03:06 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our pedi was not happy we offered yogurt before 8 months. So we switched off of it. I figured better safe then sorry.

Other then that we did soups and applesauce as part of our BLW I mean spoon fed foods aren't terrible or anything.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes
Wow Tooshie, our very progressive pedi would have had a FIT if we had given egg and milk products that age since both a very common allergens. I would really worry about soft boiled eggs not even being safe.

Probiotics can be given without cows milk as well. But I am one of those weirdo that believes cows milk is for baby cows.

Babies are interested in everything Mommy and Daddy have, it does not necessarily mean they are ready for it.

But to each his own. I have a baby book from 1901 and boiled scraped meat is recommend as a first food!
Re: the probiotics/cows milk comment...
I do see a lot of probiotics supplements out there and stuff - actually had the Body Ecology diet recommended to me because I struggle with candida overgrowth when I eat a lot of carbs - but to me, it makes more sense to get those probiotics (or even vitamins) naturally in a food substance if possible, versus taking a ton of supplements. Not that I'm saying supplements don't have their place - heck, I take several! But to me, if there is an option where it occurs naturally in a food, I'm gonna pursue putting that in my diet over automatically saying, "Hey! It comes in capsules!" Hehe.

Plus, I figure, our culture's current obsession with ultra-pasteurized milk from grain-fed cows is a little different than the generations from a variety of cultures that consumed it in a variety of fermented/cultured ways... I mean, they didn't exactly have refrigerators and factory farms back then, y'ken? That said, while I get raw cow's milk from some family friends whose dairy facilities I can visit and know they keep meticulously, even though they do feed grains to their herd (along with letting them out on some pasture), I'm gonna take that over store-bought milk. That said, I'm looking forward to when our goats kid so that I can milk them again.

Eta: I just realized that I basically just hijacked my own thread. Is that even possible?

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
livn4him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I sarted my lo recently on solids as well and she was 4.5 months at the time. We get WIC and will get the jarred food from them. While I think that the ideas behind BLW are good and make a lot of sense, we as moms know what is best for each of our own children.
I understand, I have been waiting for my friends to yell atme or criticize my actions as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Tooshie
Registered Users
seller

I'm big on Weston A Price & GAPS diets which recommend egg yolk as baby's first food & I should add that we only use free range eggs from a local farm that we have taken a tour of. Regular grocery store eggs could come from anywhere and I wouldn't feel safe using them, I understand why they can be a big allergen because the chickens could have been eating GMO corn or grains or really anything, plus they live in cages
Tooshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Probiotics can be given without cows milk as well.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Isn't formula cow milk based? whey protein?
My understanding of no 'milk' - meaning the liquid kind - before 1 is just that they don't want you substituting straight cow milk for bm or formula. The idea being that before 1, liquids should be bm or formula. That's what I understood from the health nurse here anyway.

I wouldn't feed a baby a lot of yoghurts but a plain yoghurt that is really just made of milk (no added sugar, no thickeners etc.. ) I don't see an issue with. I don't really get the whole order of foods. If a baby is allergic to dairy at 6mos they are still allergic to it at 8, aren't they?
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Wow Tooshie, our very progressive pedi would have had a FIT if we had given egg and milk products that age since both a very common allergens. I would really worry about soft boiled eggs not even being safe.

Probiotics can be given without cows milk as well. But I am one of those weirdo that believes cows milk is for baby cows.

Babies are interested in everything Mommy and Daddy have, it does not necessarily mean they are ready for it.

But to each his own. I have a baby book from 1901 and boiled scraped meat is recommend as a first food!
Yes, i'm one of those tpyes of mamas too. We don't do cows milk here, i also think it's for baby cows. If you really must do yogurt, why not coconut yogurt, it's cultured as well.

I'm all for giving a baby food when baby is ready, but cows milk based yogurt, NO WAY. I just wouldn't.

When children are introduced to cows milk/products even yogurt, it decreases the iron in their little bodies (i was told this by WIC) Thats why rice cereal and other cereals like this are first foods.

~Plus if you giving baby yogurt with sugar and flavorings in it, baby isn't going to want the greens later. They are going to want the sugary fruity yogurt they got so young.

Please consider giving your baby something else first. It's not really about being "one of those moms" It has nothing to do with a label, just want is best for your child. Yogurt is not what is best as a first food, or everyone would be giving their children that as a first food. So when other moms on here are telling you, try this frist, it's because it's what is best, and allows your child to develop a palate for that kind of food (veggies, and even fruits).
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsbabymama
~Plus if you giving baby yogurt with sugar and flavorings in it, baby isn't going to want the greens later. They are going to want the sugary fruity yogurt they got so young.
Hence why I said we use Stoneyfield. Organic and unsweetened.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hey, if he likes it, why not??? You're letting HIM take the lead!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote