Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
helenoftroy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: All the BLW peeps are gonna yell @ me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsbabymama View Post

When children are introduced to cows milk/products even yogurt, it decreases the iron in their little bodies (i was told this by WIC) Thats why rice cereal and other cereals like this are first foods.

Please consider giving your baby something else first. It's not really about being "one of those moms" It has nothing to do with a label, just want is best for your child. Yogurt is not what is best as a first food, or everyone would be giving their children that as a first food. So when other moms on here are telling you, try this frist, it's because it's what is best, and allows your child to develop a palate for that kind of food (veggies, and even fruits).
I think OP knows what's best for her baby.

Some good info on milk and milk products.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ional-benefits

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...dical-problems

I think OP is fine. It's not like she is giving yogurt and excluding all other foods (bm or formula) jeez. She just let him have a little yogurt. no biggie. I wish my DD like yogurt, but she refuses it. every. single. time.

Advertisement

grieving our first loss 5/20/12 at 9w4d
helenoftroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Elise View Post
Hence why I said we use Stoneyfield. Organic and unsweetened.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
I didn't read every single post on your thread, i don't have time for that. Its your choice to give your baby what you want, but in your post, sounds like you know it's not really "what is best" but still do it
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenoftroy View Post
I think OP knows what's best for her baby.

Some good info on milk and milk products.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ional-benefits

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...dical-problems

I think OP is fine. It's not like she is giving yogurt and excluding all other foods (bm or formula) jeez. She just let him have a little yogurt. no biggie. I wish my DD like yogurt, but she refuses it. every. single. time.
We all like to think we know whats best for our baby, but really, not all mothers do. very clear!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #24
ecotwinmom
Registered Users
seller

OP - you are doing great! No yelling here. You are exactly following the principles of baby led feeding.

"We all like to think we know whats best for our baby, but really, not all mothers do."
REALLY?

and IMHO neither does WIC, the FDA or the conventionally trained pediatricians. Consider the source and their motivation.

As a WAPF believer and owner of a raw goat milk dairy, I don't put much stock in the current dietary recommendations.

As other posters have indicated check out Dr Sears, Dr Mercola and Nourishing Traditions. They all say yogurt is fine, no white rice.
ecotwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #25
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

"and IMHO neither does WIC, the FDA or the conventionally trained pediatricians. Consider the source and their motivation."

This is why i don't give my children cows milk. And i wouldn't give yogurt so young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotwinmom View Post
OP - you are doing great! No yelling here. You are exactly following the principles of baby led feeding.

"We all like to think we know whats best for our baby, but really, not all mothers do."
REALLY?

and IMHO neither does WIC, the FDA or the conventionally trained pediatricians. Consider the source and their motivation.

As a WAPF believer and owner of a raw goat milk dairy, I don't put much stock in the current dietary recommendations.

As other posters have indicated check out Dr Sears, Dr Mercola and Nourishing Traditions. They all say yogurt is fine, no white rice.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #26
Tooshie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotwinmom

"We all like to think we know whats best for our baby, but really, not all mothers do." REALLY?

Like, like, like!

These people changed my life. I used to be very sick, I changed my diet & almost instantly became healthy. Egg yolks, butter and raw (organic, grass fed) dairy all the way! Whatever you decide - you're the Mama & you should go with your gut, not what greedy organizations say is right, heck they change it every 10 years to suit themselves anyway. If he has a reaction you can always remove it. Best of luck whatever you decide

WAHM keeping my new fam loved & healthy: SD Kaleigh 8/01, SD Brianna 6/03, DS Shay 4/11 & my handsome hubby & soul mate all put up with my crazy demands like eating real food & ridding the house of harmful chemicals
Tooshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #27
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotwinmom View Post

REALLY?

Dr. Sears is great but Dr. Mercola not so much. http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

I refuse to put much stake in ANYTHING an AIDS denialist has to say about my health or my child's health.

Not saying you have to listen to the government but be VERY wary of Mercola.

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 09-06-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
anne1140
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I didn't read every single post on your thread, i don't have time for that.
Sorry, but how can you respond with advice if you don't even know what she is doing? It's not like this thread is even that long.

Quote:
We all like to think we know whats best for our baby, but really, not all mothers do. very clear!
Seriously condescending and not helpful. Especially with the passive-aggressive thumbs up. I get the sense that you are not even trying to be helpful but trying to make this mama feel bad.

OP, I have no idea on the yogurt, but I'm sure you are trying to do what's best for your baby, regardless. Obviously, you care about your LO more than any random person on here. You don't have to be perfect, as some would like you to believe. But, there are several who seem to think yogurt is not a good first food, so maybe read up on it more before proceeding.

If you find a website or code with a good deal on Tots Bots Easy Fit, please PM me!
anne1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
Sheaholt
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like your baby was ready for food. I was in the same boat as you, going to EBF until at least 6 months. However, my LO had a different plan. She started going nuts over the food on my plate and when other kids in daycare got something besides milk she woul even cry. My pediatrician agreed it was time and so we started her on other stuff.

As to the yogurt sounds pretty controversial and I don't know that anyone knows the "right answer".

I know someone mentioned giving "supplements" as a substitute for probiotics. I just wanted to mention that there have been several studies looking at all different kinds of supplements that you can buy at GNC and Walmart and the studies found detectable levels of heavy metals in numerous supplements, even the ones made in the US. I would just urge people to be very cautious before giving supplements to kids/babies as even trace levels of heavy metal can cause significant damage to their small bodies.
Sheaholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #30
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yikes. I feel like this thread got sort of judgmental along the way. Just wanted to say that our DS is 5.5 months and we give him bits of avocado mixed with breastmilk on and off, mostly just because he REALLY loves it. He holds the spoon and shovels it into his mouth. He still BFs well, so we aren't jumping from one boat to teh other, but I think that you know your kid and you will do what is best for him/her. Numbers are numbers -- each kid is different. Trust yourself!