Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

radian latch question/issues

I tried to do a quick install of the radian today with latch. I was unable to get the latch to work in the back behind my rear seat. I cant get the latch bar far enough down around the latch bar to click. Has anyone else had this issues in a SUV. I drive a 06 kia sorento. I am going to go back out and play around with it more when it cools down. I havent had a chance to try the side latchs so i just did a seat belt install. I got it fairly tight with the seatbelt but would prefer the back latched. Any suggestions?!? I never had this issue with the regular latch on all my other car seats.

Advertisement

princessizziesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: radian latch question/issues

Installs with the seat belt are just as safe as LATCH installs as long as they are done correctly. Is there any reason why you want to switch the install to LATCH when you have a good install with the seat belt? There are people who have had problems with the Radian's SuperLATCH loosening creating an unsafe situation. Sunshine Kids has not come up with a good solution to this problem which is why our Radian is installed with the seat belt. I don't have a ton of faith in their LATCH straps.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp. I refuse to install any of my Radians..and we own 4, with LATCH because of the recent issues with them loosening on their own. If you get a good install with the seat belt then I'd just leave it alone. Why fix what isn't broken?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

I always install my seats with both. I do tight seat belt installs and then attach latch and try it again to make sure its still secure and will not move. I prefer to use both. I have a seat that is manufacturer in March 2011. I read that that latches from March 2011 until now are safe. Its the super latches prior to that date
Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessizziesmommy View Post
I always install my seats with both. I do tight seat belt installs and then attach latch and try it again to make sure its still secure and will not move. I prefer to use both. I have a seat that is manufacturer in March 2011. I read that that latches from March 2011 until now are safe. Its the super latches prior to that date
This is not safe and you need to discontinue the practice. You can install with EITHER Latch or seatbelt, but not both. They are not designed to work that way, and this will change how the forces are spread and absorbed. Please decide on one method or another to install with, and do NOT use both. You definitely do not want to turn your child into a crash test dummy!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

Our manuals for our old car seats never stated that you cant use both. Actually my infant car seat (graco) you use thelatch and then run the seatbelt across the bottom of the base and snap that in place as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

I will do more research and look into it. We have always bought the best car seats that we could afford and now have moved into the radian due to size of our car. I am going to look more into their latches released after march 2011 and see if they work. I would prefer latch if i can get it too work otherwise i will send them back to Kohls. I had read about all the prior problems though. I never realized you shouldnt use both and just thought it was best since my manuals didnt state otherwise on any of our other seats. :/
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my current seats specify to use one or the other. I'm 99% sure the Radian has a warning in one of the boxes in the manual to that effect as well (I used to own a Radian 80SL). Regardless, it is not acceptable or safe to use both.

OP- are you talking about the top tether? Your mention of "side latches" as opposed to "n the back behind my rear seat" made me think that. Do you mean you can't get the hook all the way on the bar?

What vehicle do you drive? Are you installing rear or forward facing?

If forward facing, then the use of the top tether is highly encouraged with any install- it's mandatory in Canada.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

Yes I am talking about the top tether. I can get the two sides one in but the rear tether will not latch. There doesn't seem to be enough room between the metal of the car & the latch bar for the rear teether latch to snap into place. I have the seat FF, DD is 4. I will have a radian RF soon for my infant son as well and i am very concerned about a rear facing install with just a seatbelt. The only rear facing seat that I have had up until now is a infant seat. I will have DS rear facing until atleast two or maybe longer depending on his size. I prefer the latch install because of the teethering of the top of the seat. The side tethers i feel comfortable leaving unlatched if i can get a good install with the seatbelt but i love the top tether on cars because it keeps the top of the seat from rocking any.
All my car seat installs have been rock solid. My last seat was a PAIN to get uninstalled because it was so tightly latched in and i couldnt get slack on the strap- finally got it undone by undoing rear teether and twisting seat a bit per manufacturer suggestion.
I will no longer do both installation methods. I am not a hard headed person such as i prefer to do it my way over the safety recommendations. But i truly missed that while reading my first car seats manual (the rock solid latch installation). And since the car seat was put in and only checked for security since i had no reason to reread the manual and catch that mistake. Thank God there was never an accident to test the theory of safety issues while using both. But i do see now where the strains would be in different directions based on the two separate install methods.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
SwaggerWagon
Registered Users
seller

Yes this has happened to me. I actually easily got the top tether on but it would not come off for exactly the same reason you are stating. I had to use a screw driver and a lot of force to pry it off. It was in my 2009 Toyota camry. I don't know what I am going to do when I need to put it back into that car again.