Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: need help picking out cheap cloth diapers

Did you check out snuggle bottom fitteds? I like mine, but never tried GMD.

Advertisement

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
lauraliebee
Registered Users

Do you sew? The rita's rump pattern is super easy and will fit a newborn. I made ours out of flannel on sale at joann's and stuffed with newborn prefolds. We never had a poop escape the leg elastics. We love the gmd fitteds, too, if you go that route. Get a snappy even if you get the ones with snaps since the waist on the yellows might be a little big for a newbie.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
ferociousb
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have time to read all replies, but I was in your boat before!!! We started with Indian prefolds, snappis and dappi nylon pants!!!!
ferociousb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I think the GMD workhorse dipes are a good basic fitted. But, I have to say, PFs were a lot easier to use on a nb/small baby than on a medium sized squirmer - especially if you just trifold which is what I did.
I'd also suggest 5 covers is probably plenty. If you're running short you can always just wipe one out or wash by hand.

I would want at least 24-30 dipes of whatever type just to give you some leeway on washing. If you're getting 18 fitteds, i'd really recommend getting at least a few PFs or flats to have as an emergency back-up if you get behind on washing/drying. With 18 you'd have to wash every day most likely if you're having them hang dry.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
luvnmyboys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2muncher
seller
seller

My Mood:

there are still a lot of great seconds on cottonbabies. they still have flip covers, some bg 4.0's, some aios, and flip organic inserts. i would probably go for cb stuff. for every order over $69, you get a free cover. mmb has also has a freebie offer if you spend over $55. i'd try to stretch your $ as far as possible. i'd check fsot and see if anyone is selling their xs bg seconds too.
luvnmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

GMD workhorse are a good choice but i agree on the sunbabys , they will fit for awhile and you can get them super cheap , and you can use pf or flats and then you do not have to size up
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second looking at the CB seconds My DS could go through 18 diaper changes in one day when he was first born so I would have been washing at least once a day if I only had 18 fitteds in his stash! If $200 is your budget, I would get 24 Sunbaby pockets with 24 inserts, 6 Flip covers and 24 infant cotton babies prefolds. This will potentially last you till potty training if you trifold the prefolds and then you won't have to worry about reselling between each size.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just found this: http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/...conomy-Package

I thought of you! This package would give you 18 fitteds and 4 covers and you could still have around $65 left over to buy some other things like covers or pockets!! Sounds like a great deal to me and I have heard lots of good things about Ososcozy
Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergy0625
I second looking at the CB seconds My DS could go through 18 diaper changes in one day when he was first born so I would have been washing at least once a day if I only had 18 fitteds in his stash! If $200 is your budget, I would get 24 Sunbaby pockets with 24 inserts, 6 Flip covers and 24 infant cotton babies prefolds. This will potentially last you till potty training if you trifold the prefolds and then you won't have to worry about reselling between each size.
If you are on tight budget. I totally agree with this.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Boy, there is so much good advice on this thread! We love the GMD fitteds. I'd say 18 is enough if you're ok with washing everyday. Maybe a few prefolds would be good to have on hand just incase you can't get to washing on time for any number of reasons. I'd say 5 covers would be plenty. Fitteds hold the poo in well. And if you had a really odd day where they did not, you could give a few PUL covers a quick hand rinse/wash in the sink. I also think that it would be good to check out the cotton babies seconds and sunbaby pockets.