Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: save me from my Country Save experiment

I bought something called Smelly Washer to clean my FLer. They say if your washer is really scummy, you may have to run it several times before you get all (or most?) of the yuck out. Smelly Washer's instructions say you should run a really hot wash with no clothes or anything in it, add the Smelly Washer, then stop the washer to let it soak for several hours or even overnight. If Country Save was getting scummy stuff out, then I bet you could just use it the same way.

Oh, and their explanation for why bleach doesn't get rid of it is that the problem is "biofilm", a combination of oils, dirt, and detergent residue. And they say that if you remove the top layer with one treatment, then it stinks worse because you then have a fresh, ooey gooey layer that's exposed to the air. I dunno if that's all true or not, though.

Advertisement

Last edited by VeganCupcake; 08-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
4lilMonkies
Registered Users
seller

I just read the blog by The Cloth Diaper Report about machine maintenance. She recommends using Affresh machine cleaner. I know Tide makes a washer cleaner as well. I've not cleaned my FL in the 10 years I've used it and I know it needs a good cleaning. I think I will try the Affresh. You may want to look into it.

Machine Maintenance is the blog I did about it. I've linked to the two part blog by TCDR as well as a link to Affresh.
4lilMonkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I clean my front loader by running a "clean washer" cycle with bleach like the manual recommends. I only have to do it every few months now that I've been leaving the door open more. I follow that with a load of towels so I'm not worried about accidentally ruining clothes.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I've been on a baking soda kick lately... so I think I'd try running a few clean towels on the hottest cycle with some baking soda (1/2 cup?). Baking soda is mildly abrasive and we all know it removes odors, so that's why I'd try it.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
philenabean
Registered Users

That is so strange! But, yes, you can do an empty Machine Clean cycle with vinegar or a specialty machine cleaner product. My front loader manual says to do that once a month. I think I've done it once in a year, lol.

I'd try that!
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
calstar2000
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mommas! I'm gonna start with the baking soda because I have it in house. Too gross to think about what's lurking in my machine!
calstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstar2000 View Post
Thanks mommas! I'm gonna start with the baking soda because I have it in house. Too gross to think about what's lurking in my machine!
I really would use more than that since you will want something that will really grab the gunk. I'd throw in some Dawn or something similar. Also, get in there and scrub all of the rubber around the opening and even into the part where it drains. Then do a hot wash with a surfactant. I'm sure you'll be able to get it nice and clean! GL!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, on second thought, why not just run a load with the Country Save? That would probably help. I think I would do that instead of dawn since it could be hard to get it all out of a FL.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used affresh and they make special white towels to wipe off the grey rubber part, I will never buy a FL again...to much maintenance!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe run a "sanitary" cycle with some of that HE washing machine cleaner? Tide makes one but I have seen generic ones,they are disks that you put right into the washer.
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote