Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
jess08060
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Now the diaper stinks after her nap!

So, I just asked about the stinkies from nighttime diaper, but I just changed DD from her nap and it smells. I have a cotton stash, no mf, front loader, rinse with vinegar, wash with Tide and 2 extra rinses, please HELP! I was so happy with our diapering for these first 4-5 months. Oh, the other change is DD started solids, but I haven't been doing anything different bc it was coming out in the wash since it's such a small amount of food and she is BF.

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
jess08060
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Re: Now the diaper stinks after her nap!

Hmm... That's odd. I've never had that happen with a nap, only overnight once mine reached 2!!! Do you think you have build-up? Are her naps super long?

I admit, Daddy has left DS in the same diaper for hours before and I never had any kind of stink. The only time I ever had ammonia stink during the day was from the diaper I used diaper rash cream with, so build-up...

Do you have RLR? Do you ever add a tiny squirt of Dawn to your wash?
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is is ammonia stink? It's probably detergent buildup, you could try to strip them and see if it helps.

ETA: I recently had a problem with my prefolds having stink issues and ran them all through the wash with a little detergent (to get them all clean) then ran them through the sanitary cycle on my Front loader several times until there were no bubbles to get all of the buildup out. It worked

Last edited by ollie_mama; 08-04-2011 at 09:07 PM.
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
jess08060
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think it is ammonia, I'm thinking I may run them all throughout the wash with a squirt of dawn in the morn and then a sanitize cycle or two. See want happens?? I wonder how many dipes my front loader can handle? I usually wash every other day or so....I'll let you know if I have any more problems, thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely spray out the diapers into the toilet before washing...ammonia is from bacteria in the diaper converting urea (in pee) to ammonia. The bacteria is present if diapers aren't getting clean.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spray them out, add a cap or two of bleach to the wash. IME vinegar didn't help with ammonia issues but bleach does.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
2cutetoddlers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry to hear about this mama... Hopefully a solution is found... I had the same issue when my son got up in the morning... He had a flip on with organic insert and I could barely tolerate his STRONG stink this morning practically made my eyes hurt! I wash every day and use BG detergent and my flips and organics are between 2 weeks to 4 months old... Also, I use my flips as my Elementals-meaning I use it once and toss in wash... I'll keep tabs on this post as well for solutions...
2cutetoddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I would definitely spray out the diapers into the toilet before washing...ammonia is from bacteria in the diaper converting urea (in pee) to ammonia. The bacteria is present if diapers aren't getting clean.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spray them out, add a cap or two of bleach to the wash. IME vinegar didn't help with ammonia issues but bleach does.
I agree, try the bleach! Vinegar doesn't work for me either but the bleach always helps, especially with microfiber IME
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think it's as simple as the diaper and/or inserts didn't get clean enough in the last wash. Personally, I have almost always done two full hot washes, plus a cold rinse beforehand and two rinses after each wash afterward. I think if diapers sit too long after being used (especially night diapers), then they have time to get especially rancid. If you add a small amoynt of bleach to your next load and perhaps an extra wash, your problem will be gone, totally.
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I never use vinegar either.
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote