Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: littlest_one
My Mood:
How to handle "no"

I'm just wondering how other handle it when LO says "No" all the time when you ask them if they have to go potty?

My son has been doing the naked thing for about a month now. If he's naked, he will just go to the potty on his own and doesn't say anything to us until after he has gone ("I did it!"). He does still have accidents sometimes if he is playing intently or is getting super tired. If we put anything on him though (diaper, trainer, undies, or even just pants/shorts) he will NOT tell us he has to go, he'll just go. I think part of it is that he hasn't figured out how to pull his pants down... and the other part is just thinking that being covered means it's okay.

Thing is... when I ask if he has to go... he'll say no. 100% of the time. If I say Let's try anyway and try to make him... he'll start to cry. I'm just not sure how to handle that. Any tips for encouraging him to say "yes" or at least be okay with trying regularly? I'd like to avoid food treats if possible... he gets too focused on the prize and doesn't seem to actually get the message.

p.s. He's 28 months old.

Heidi ~ Stay-at-Home Mom of 3 precious little ones

My Etsy Shop ~ Get 5% off with "DSFIVE"
Snap Belts for Preschoolers ~ Crocheted Toys ~ Custom Soother & Mitten Clips ~ Nursing Necklaces Facebook
LittleTadpoleDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How to handle "no"

My son is 26 months and we JUST started potty training. He also says "NO" whenever it's time to try and potty. I have been "going potty" with him, as weird as it is, it works. I sit on the big potty,(I usually leave my pants on, unless I actually have to go) him on his potty and we read books or just "chat" until he goes potty. I think it just makes him more comfortable or helps him feel like he's not alone? I know it's a little different, but it helps us
momtothebrothersOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Registered Users

We have quite a collection of books in both of our bathrooms.
jeepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Users
Don't ask, just take him in and say "let's try to go potty !.It works well for my older DS.Without the option he happily goes in and usually goes.
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

we are in the same boat. just wondered if when he cries he is actually upset or rying to manipulate. with my son, it would be the latter...
libster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:
I totally agree with the pp that said don't ask, tell. I usually tell my ds, it's time to go potty! Let's go! Then he will get up and at least attempt. If I ask him if he needs to go, 100% of the time he will say no! Good luck mama!
Sarah, Wife to Jeremy, Mama to Aiden 5/08 Cora 1/12 and Sophie 4/14
Heirloom Quilts, T-shirt Quilts, Custom Quilts, Aprons
slyeates is offline   Reply With Quote