Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Best way to check a cs for flight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wyobabes View Post
Don't ever check a seat! They will handle your seat the way they do luggage. Get a bag for it to cover it and gate check it. No damage and they can't lose it
If you go back in the thread I posted some videos of baggage handlers mishandling gate checked seats. Just because a seat is gate checked does not mean it's going to be properly handled.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Buying another seat on the plane is not an option, so I'll have to gate check it. I'll try to find a bag for it (I think WM sells them) and maybe put some bubble wrap around it before putting it in the bag? Will they take a gate checked cs with other stuff in the bag, like a blanket?
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I doubt they will even look in the bag so put whatever you think will cushion/protect it the best.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
3wyobabes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
If you go back in the thread I posted some videos of baggage handlers mishandling gate checked seats. Just because a seat is gate checked does not mean it's going to be properly handled.
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. Every flight I've been on when it was gate checked the flight attendants put it in a completely separate compartment. Then they took it off. It was sitting right outside the plane door, and never went to baggage claim. The baggage handlers never touched it.

Last edited by 3wyobabes; 08-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.
3wyobabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #25
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, I got a bag to gate check it with. Now, the base... I'm not sure if I should take it. I can't carry it during my layovers. Should I put it in a duffel bag with some blankets and check it? Will it be safe that way? Or is the seat alone safe enough without it?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

As long as your seat allows it (I don't remember which seat you have) I would leave the base at home and install baseless with the seat belt if you are comfortable and confident in your baseless install.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just know that my Brand NEW Baby Jogger City Mini that was in a stroller bag got the front wheel destroyed on our way to Disney World last year, and it was gate checked. I had to call Baby Jogger and have them ship me a new wheel. Is there any way at all you can send someone on the other end $40 and have them go buy you a Scenara?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wyobabes View Post
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. Every flight I've been on when it was gate checked the flight attendants put it in a completely separate compartment. Then they took it off. It was sitting right outside the plane door, and never went to baggage claim. The baggage handlers never touched it.
It doesn't go to baggage claim, but the baggage handlers take it. The dudes in orange vests (aka baggage handlers ) take gate checked items and put them on the ramp and they go into the cargo compartment with everything else. Then when you land they get the gate checked items out first and put them outside the plane door on the ramp. I have seen strollers and car seats fall from the conveyor belt onto the concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I just know that my Brand NEW Baby Jogger City Mini that was in a stroller bag got the front wheel destroyed on our way to Disney World last year, and it was gate checked. I had to call Baby Jogger and have them ship me a new wheel. Is there any way at all you can send someone on the other end $40 and have them go buy you a Scenara?
Same thing happened with our brand new MacLaren double when we flew. It was all bent.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #29
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10
Ok, I got a bag to gate check it with. Now, the base... I'm not sure if I should take it. I can't carry it during my layovers. Should I put it in a duffel bag with some blankets and check it? Will it be safe that way? Or is the seat alone safe enough without it?
I didn't bother taking the base. My seat can installed with a seatbelt, and I don't use a base in my car anyways so I am confident in my seatbelt installing abilities. Check your carseat manual to see if the seatbelt install is ok!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, I got DH to buy one there. The $40 was worth peace of mind and not having to hassle with carrying one around during layovers. Thanks for all the advice!