Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Baby Not Gaining

Hey guys, I have a question for a friend... Her boy is 4 months old (first baby) and he has not gained any weight (maybe an oz) in the past month. He's EBF and nurses 6-7 times a day. Initially he was upset a lot when she ate dairy, but he seems fine now that she cut dairy out of her diet.

Lactation Consultant had her feed the baby in front of her, said latch was great, etc. and by weighing him deduced that he had eaten 4.5 ounces in one nursing. Which I thought was pretty good.

She's been pumping some, and sometimes after he eats a bottle he still wants to nurse. But that could just be 'cause bottles are so much easier.

The LC said she may have to supplement with formula, what are your thoughts?

It sounded to me like he's having some sort of trouble processing, not so much that he's not getting enough. But I told her I'd investigate.

Advertisement

I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Not Gaining

i dont think he is eating enough. My ds is 5.5m and he eats 8-12 times in a 24 hour period, for about 20 min each time. He has gained 1 pound in 6 weeks. does he take both sides when he eats? if he does maybe she can try to get him to eat longer on just one side?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

If he is eating 6x per day and getting 4.5oz that is 27oz a day, which is in the normal range. Perhaps he is getting too much foremilk and not enough of the fatty hindmilk? Has she tried pumping for a few minutes before BFing him so that when he nurses he gets the fattier stuff?
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

If he transferred 4.5oz during the LC consult, my fear is that perhaps your friend had assistance latching him and that was an unusually large feeding for him. If he's taking in less than that normally (say, 3oz) and only eating 6-7xs/day, you can see where the problem would arise.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I'm a bit suspicious of an LC who brings up formula supplementation before exploring other avenues. In her shoes I would get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Also, I would do a nursing marathon weekend. My 6 month old nurses a lot more than 6-7 times in a 24 hour period. That's not to say all babies need to nurse more than that, but he's not gaining so I'm looking there first.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't sound like he's nursing enough to me....my daughter nurses that much now, and she's 18 months and eating solids. When she was that age she was nursing at least 10 times between day and night.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
4girls3boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: 3boys3girls
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
I'm a bit suspicious of an LC who brings up formula supplementation before exploring other avenues. In her shoes I would get a second opinion.

My sister recently mentioned to me the idea of "block feeding", which is nursing from the same side each time a baby feeds, for like 3 times or so.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies, I will send her all your input. I think she latched without the help of the consultant.... she says he's a good nurser. I'm confident she's nursing him as much as he will eat. He doesn't seem interested in more... seems to me like he's getting full, it's just not processing. He is fairly active, rolling around, etc.... but I doubt it would make that much difference in his weight!

I think she was gonna try feeding him every two hours for a few days just to see how it would go.
I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
poppan
Registered Users
seller

My cousin had a child who was diagnosed with failure to thrive. He gained only 1 pound between 6 and 12 months IIRC. She did feed him as much as he wanted to eat, but the problem seemed to be that he did not want to eat. It sounds a lot like your sister's baby.

In my cousin's case she just accepted that he is a petite child. I'm not sure I would have come to the same conclusion, but she tried a bunch of things to get him to eat more and it just resulted in a lot of frustration for her and he didn't seem to eat anymore anyway. I don't have a point, I'm just sharing what seems to be a similar situation.