Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Mom22Boys2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bamboo vs Cotton

I used some Ikea flats and HATED them! I don't know what they are made out of though since I cut off the tags without reading. They caused major rashing, though, so I turned them into dish towels immediately.

My girl needs breathability, and I'd like to get some fitteds to go coverless with. She does really good in OBV Pods and wool or fleece covers. I'm reluctant to buy cotton fitteds because she does so good in the bamboo and did so bad in the flats.

How does bamboo typically compare to cotton in terms of breathability?

Advertisement

Mom22Boys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
NessieO
Registered Users

Re: Bamboo vs Cotton

I would say it's similar, but I'm not an expert. I think it depends on what kind of bamboo fabric it is. Some types let less air through than others.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends what kind of bamboo fabric it is -- as with any material, the denser and thicker the material, the less breathability you are going to get. From our experience, the bamboo fleece is trimmer than cotton fleece for the same amount of absorbency, but the cotton washes out better.

Having said that, if bamboo works for you, go with that! We personally love the Ikea flats!
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

All "bamboo" is rayon, which requires a lot more chemical processing and is much more delicate than cotton.

The IKEA flats were probably cotton. It's hard to say if the problem is cotton, or something specific to the IKEA flats (chemicals used in processing, not rinsing as thoroughly, etc.)

Maybe you would like to try a few other kinds of flats? Bamboo is so much more expensive. I think Green Mountain Diapers has sample packs of 3 flats.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

Maybe try making a few out of muslin? Cotton, but a looser weave, more breathability. I've seen a youtube tute on folding flats and she used muslin.
AtLeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

For fitteds, I vote bamboo. They're so much softer than cotton and super absorbent. I'm crazy about all our bamboo fitteds (goodmama, SBISH, etc). For cotton, I'd recommend GMD workhorse fitteds. I've read rave reviews on them! I can't say for sure which fiber is more breathable, but my DD has a VERY sensitive bum (gets red if she's in suedecloth too long) and she does beautifully in bamboo. It's the only thing we do for overnight. Pair it with wool or fleece like you do now and you'll be golden.

Last edited by el's mama; 08-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

just be sure to get a bamboo blend that is at least 20% cotton if you end up liking bamboo fabric. Bamboo material with only a small portion of poly fall apart real fast.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
philenabean
Registered Users

I much, much prefer bamboo to cotton. My daughter tends to become red in cotton diapers/flats, but not with bamboo. I recently purchased some OBF flats that I love.
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote